Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on these fancy computerized machines >

Question on these fancy computerized machines

Question on these fancy computerized machines

Old 08-04-2011, 02:42 AM

I always unplug. A few years ago we had a nasty storm with thunder and lightening. I had my then dial up computer plugged into the phone bit disconnected to the electricity.

Unknown to me we had a lightening strike. It went along the phone cable and burnt out a very new modem. Surge protectors are there for an unexpected surge or spike in electricity, not for lightening strikes.

So, I always unplug everything after I have used it, even the humble kettle - only one exception - the fridge/freezer. That will have to take its chances!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 AM

Being as the storms here in WV seem especially close to earth and the lightning strikes often around us, I unplug my machine every time I quit sewing. It is a small thing to do automatically versus chancing ruining my computerized machine. You never know when you go to bed if a big old storm is coming during the night. Just read the above and know just what she means as I had three expensive suppressors with modem protection since I moved here. All three took a hit and fried the modem part but saved my computer , so I had to replace each time to keep my modem from being destroyed. They now serve as great plug-in strips and I am now on wireless so no modem to protect any more.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

one plugged in sewing machine = one fried computer board. I had to learn the hard way. Now I'm back to vintage.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
I don't use any electronic equipment or anything connected to plumbing during a storm. Surge protectors are not 100% reliable. Unplug your machine. :thumbup:

I agree I unplug all my machines before I leave my sewing room for the day or evening. They cost too much to take a chance.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:56 AM

There is never a sewing machine plugged into any outlet when I am not using it. It's a precaution I've always followed, even before there surge protectors or computerized sewing machines. Now, my sewing room has one dedicated outlet that I have a surge protector and I only plug a sewing machine into it when I want to sew. When I am not sewing, the outlet has nothing plugged into it.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:01 AM

Congratulations, I just bought a Janome Horizon also. My son is a computer geek and he bought me a surge protector that cost over $200.00. He said that is the only one that would be safe to protect against different kinds of outages. The cheaper ones can be hit once and they are not good anymore. Sometimes you would not even be aware this happened. They only protect against a surge. If it were up to me I would have just used the cheaper one and not sew when it's lightening and unplug my machine when not in use. We do have a whole house protector put on the main box. I don't know what that does. We have lost appliances in the past with a surge.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 AM

I make it a point to unplug all my machines and iron before leaving my sewing room. My friend had a brand new Husky destroyed by a power surge. If it's not plugged in, no problems!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Linda71
My machine came with instructions to unplug after use so that is what I do.
I always unplug my machine and iron when leaving the sewing area. Just a habit I got into, I guess.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:23 AM

I always unplug mine even when using a surge protector.Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 AM

I do not leave my machine plugged in at all, even with a surge protector. I do not use it during thunder storms, etc. I figure I can sew on one of my non-computer machines during storms.

Pam