Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on these fancy computerized machines >

Question on these fancy computerized machines

Question on these fancy computerized machines

Old 08-04-2011, 04:49 AM

I unplug my machines when not in use. We had several things hit by lightning during a storm once.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 AM

I unplug any electronics during a thunderstorm. It just seems a sensible precaution, given the damage that can be caused and usually, I'd rather watch the storm anyway.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:59 AM

I have a Janome 11000; it is plugged into a single-plug Surge Master which, in turn, is plugged into a Surge Master bar. I also have stereo components, pressure iron/steamer, and shop light plugged into that bar. The bar is always turned off when I'm not using any of those things and I never have it on when we have one of our frequent electrical storms. I have all my computer equipment plugged into an APC battery backup ... this is the second battery backup I've had ... a lightning bolt recently killed the first one, but it did its job of shutting down my computer first, so there was no harm done to anything else. The backup was still under warranty, so I was out of pocket only for the $$$ it cost to ship it back to the company.

I have to get down on my belly and crawl under my sewing desk to unplug the bar and again to plug it back in ... that's not likely to happen!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:09 AM

I always turn my machines off during storms, as well as my computer. Even tho' they are plugged into surge protectors, I just want to be safe.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 AM

P.S. to what I said above: the Surge Master bar and the APC backup unit are plugged into the same outlet. The backup unit stays on 100% of the time and it took a fatal hit from the lightning; however, the power bar, which was turned off, was just fine. I may be in LaLa Land, but I'm of the opinion that, if the bar power is turned off, my equipment is safe during an electrical storm.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:56 AM

I usually unplug my machine, especially in the summer when there could be thunderstorms.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by klc
Congrats on your new Horizon. I love mine! As for precautions I take (other than the surge protector), I unplug my machine during lightening storms. Do not use magnets near your machine. I was also told not to use canned air to clean out my machine (it is hard on the computer). As for any other things to do, just keep her clean of dust bunnies, use caution and gently clean as the auto thread cutter and other parts can get messed up. Go to classes and learn all you can about using your machine. Enjoy! They really are a wonderful machine.
Really good advice. :thumbup:
Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 AM

When a storm comes along, my machines are all unplugged,and always have been unless I am using them. I have 2 surge protectors that they plug into so if the first one is not tripped, the 2nd will get it if they are plugged in.
Just a little something Dearest Grandmother in law passed along to me when I started sewing: always unplug your machines when not in use, then you know the lightning can never harm them. (and that advice I have always taken to heart).
Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 AM

We had lightening hit a power substation several years ago and took out everything in town that didn't have a surge protector. I had only a $10 one from WalMart on my computer and it blew the surge protector and didn't hurt my computer. I use them on everything and then don't worry.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:07 AM

I once had a power surge knock out a board on my Viking computerized machine and it was very expensive to replace. It really pays to use a surge protector and unplug during electrical storms. Not worth the grief and $ if something happens!