Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on these fancy computerized machines >

Question on these fancy computerized machines

Question on these fancy computerized machines

Old 08-04-2011, 11:42 AM

I always unplug my bernina when I finish sewing for the day. My LQS where I bought it said it was a safety precaution. And seeing that I've lost 2 routers, 3 phones and 2 motherboards you'd think I'd do it for my computer too, but no!! I guess my Bernina is my only prize posession. We do have a lot of thunderstorms here inn the Ozarks!!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
I have just acquired the Janome Horizon - computer boards and all. My question - aside from using a surge protector - do you use any other precautions for your machines? Would you continue to sew through a thunderstorm? Just wondering.
Please, everyone, stay away from electrical appliances during a thunderstorm. A week ago, lightning struck my dishwasher and I was 10 feet away from it! It sounded like a bomb going off and I could see the fire from the element around the dishwasher where it fits into the cabinet. It nearly scared me to death. I threw water in the dishwasher, the element melted. It tripped the breaker and the same strike hit the neighbors' box up on the pole and knocked all their power out. I've lived here 21 years and that DW is 21 years old, and this is the first time and I hope the last that lightning strikes in my home. I was standing in front of that dishwasher a few minutes before it hit.

Lightning is DANGEROUS!! Don't ever take a chance!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
use surge protector from wall pluged into another surge protector(computer grade) to plug in machine and be sure to turn off if not using. The other thing is magnets, do not have anything magnitized near machine this includes pins that have been in a magnitized holder. and if you live near an airport like i do and the planes come low to land from reverse direction if the weather is windy. Turn off your machine !!!!! Plane came over my house and fried the mother board when it contacted the tower. Fortunately BERNINA U.S.A. was able to fix it.
Do NOT turn your surge protector off. Unplug it. Turning it off is still leaving a connection to the circuit.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 PM

I use a surge protector into which I plug a four socket extension lead which has my machine, a switched on lamp and often my iron plugged in. When I leave my sewing room I always unplug the surge protector, and the lamp helps me remember to turn everything off on the one switch.
I am glad that here in South Gloucestershire, we rarely have storms so bad that we need to unplug everything, but hopefully the surge protector does its job on the odd occasion that they do occur.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by klc
Congrats on your new Horizon. I love mine! As for precautions I take (other than the surge protector), I unplug my machine during lightening storms. Do not use magnets near your machine. I was also told not to use canned air to clean out my machine (it is hard on the computer). As for any other things to do, just keep her clean of dust bunnies, use caution and gently clean as the auto thread cutter and other parts can get messed up. Go to classes and learn all you can about using your machine. Enjoy! They really are a wonderful machine.
Get your machine professoionally cleaned once a year if you do a lot of flannel especially. The lint pacts in behind your computer board and causes malfuntion
Old 08-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Girl you are about to have your first love affair!! With a machine!! I had the Janome 6500 and loved it and traded it in for the Horizon and fell more in love. That machine is such a workhorse!

The only thing I will recommend is to keep it clean around the bobbin area. Keep a little cheap art brush by your machine and brush around the top of the needle once in awhile and keep the oil hole in the bottom of the bobbin carrier full. For me I add a drop at least once a week and if I am sewing every day twice a week. Also, remove the bobbin plate and the bobbin carrier and brush out the lint. This will keep your machine running smoothly. Congratulation - you are a lucky gal!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I try and remember to unplug my machine when not in use. I leave the plug in the surge protector & just unplug it at the machine. As far as sewing during a storm, I personally would not.
I have my machine plugged into a UPS/surge protector (uniterruptable power source). It's basically a battery pack that provides power for a limited amount of time when the electricity fails. My machine is a sewing/embroidery unit. If I'm embroidering and loose power, the UPS gives me a few minutes of up time to stop & record where in the design I am so that I can restart it when power returns.
I also use this device and have two hours of battery back-up if the power goes out. I did have a surge a couple weeks ago that turned everything off....except my machine. Phew! It works. They are pricey but less expensive than a new machine. I always unplug when I am not sewing though.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM

I have a large heavy duty surge proctector that I plug my Horizon in to and also my serger so I only have to pull one plug which I do daily.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

When we get thunderstorms here I switch to my treadle machine!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 PM

The only time we had a surge problem was when our electricity was out for a while and we had the main board plugged into a generator. I did not do it! I know you are not supposed to do that... I never thought of unplugging my sewing machine during a storm.

I guess I should start unplugging my machines when I am done.