Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking >

sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking

sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking

Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM

I did my 2" squares as leaders and enders until I'd got them in 5patch rows, then they became the main quilt and with 1" squares as leaders n enders. The 2"squares was my millenium quilt - each block 25 squares with one being a signature. There's 2k squares in the quilt with a narrow sashing so each person's block is separate. It is huge. It's not got any further than being a flimsy and is in a box in the attic. I think one day I'll split it up into 2 or even 3 quilts. The 1" squares I made up as 9patch, alternated them with navy blue squares and I think it turned out rather well. No idea where it is now though. Leaders and enders is a brilliant way of taking the tedium out of one block patchwork with that bonus of a second quilt being made almost without thinking. Bless you Bonnie Hunter at quiltville.com
Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 PM

Oh I feel your pain!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:19 PM

Been there, done that!!!! back in the Millennium year swapped squares with people from all over the world. It was fun, but ended up donating a whole 2 gal. zip lock bag to a local charity quilt group.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 PM

2" squares? That big? Wow!! I have completed seven 1 1/2" TATWs, and just finished making about a hundred 1 1/2" (yes, finished size) 9-patch blocks to set a Crazy/Crumb quilt I've been working on. I chuckled at your subject line, because the name of each of the TATWs is some version of "What Was I Thinking??" So, I feel your pain. Work at it for a bit, then on to something else, and go back to it as your patience allows. You'll be done in no time. Can't wait to see it, so be sure to post!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 PM

I love that you are doing it with your scraps but maybe you need to let yourself work on it over time and that will help you enjoy the project better. I also found when I made the quilt in my avatar that I became frustrated after making two blocks so worked on it over time and now really am pleased I stuck with it. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Z

Originally Posted by intoquilting
I let a friend talk me into doing a postage stamp quilt using 2" squares. I don't think I will live long enough to finish it. LOL but I need to because I am determined to finish before she does. I am really tired of cutting 2" squares and trying to sew them together without having any 2 of the same fabric. What was I thinking??????? I am putting 16 of them together into a block. Will I ever finish? It remains to be seen.
You might think about using the fusible grid backing where you just fuse the 2" squares to the backing and then join the squares by folding on the printed lines to sew the vertical seams. Folding and sewing on the horizontal lines completes the section. The seam intersections are then snipped to make them lie flat. The fusible grid backing is usually available at Joann's.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:36 PM

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:53 PM

What is the size that you are cutting your blocks 2 or 2 1/2"
I have quite a few 2 1/2" blocks cut from my accuquilt. I would be happy to send you some so that you have some that are differant from your stash. Maybe a few others would like to also. At least that way you have a few more squares.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:05 PM

About 10 years ago, I saw on TV about cutting 2 1/2 in sqs. and laying them in a design on a iron on grid then sew the rows rogether. I cut 1 to 2 yds of at least 25 different colors. After making 3 quilts I still have a huge shoe box full. I am now in the process of sewing lots of 4 patches. I grab at random and sew them. I'm cutting then in a Tipsy design that I foung in a Love of Quilting magazine, Oct. 2010. I am cutting alot away but at least I'm getting rid of alot of material. This is only my second day so will let you know when I'm done.

Always said I wish I'd have started with at least 6"
Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 PM

I am currently working on a postage stamp quilt and am enjoying it so much. I am making blocks of 36 of the squares per block (6 x 6). As I cut out my small squares (indivually) I would pin 4 alike squares together. Then when I was really to make a block, I would pick 6 different colors to arrange for each block. I figured this would give me more control of the color balance for the whole qult. Then the blocks will be sewn together. It will be a small couch throw (don't know the measurements as yet). I do know however that there is 1,728 squares in it and the squares are 1-1/2".