Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking >

sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking

sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking

Old 08-05-2011, 05:42 PM

I made one of these in 2001- my Millenium Quilt with 2001 different fabrics. I cut and sorted fabrics by color. Then I laid out the pieces on a piece of fusible interfacing with 2" grid printed on it. When all pieces were arranged, I pressed it to fuse. To sew, I folded 2 rows together on a line, right sides together and sewed a 1/4" seam. When all rows in one direction were sewed, I folded and sewed the other direction. Somewhere in there, I clipped each intersection so the seams would fold one way or another. This made a really daunting project manageable
Old 08-06-2011, 02:19 AM

I know what you mean. I'm about 90% finished a 1" Paper pieced hexagon quilt, to fit a king size bed. I've been working on it for 2 years, hand stitched. I cut out all of those little squares then had to baste stitch them to paper hexagons before I could ever start stitched them together. I didn't think I'd ever get finished cutting out squares and covering paper hexagons. But, I'm happy to say, hopefully, by the end of the year, I'll have the top complete....Then comes quilting time. I used to think, OMG, what did I get myself into. BUT, when it's finished, I'm going to be sooooo extremely happy. Just think of the thrill you'll have when your quit is finished and you can stand back and say, "Wow, I made that myself". Hang in there and Good Luck! !
Old 08-06-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by intoquilting
I let a friend talk me into doing a postage stamp quilt using 2" squares. I don't think I will live long enough to finish it. LOL but I need to because I am determined to finish before she does. I am really tired of cutting 2" squares and trying to sew them together without having any 2 of the same fabric. What was I thinking??????? I am putting 16 of them together into a block. Will I ever finish? It remains to be seen.
Would you like a couple extra squares sent your way? I would be happy to send a few...
Old 08-06-2011, 07:40 PM

I did a srappy quilt of 2 inch square and what i did was just cut every thing in 2 inch strips the put all the same lengths together and sewed 6 strips together then cut those into 2 inch strips and kept sewing those together and just keep flipping those around till they all worked it goes really quick that way.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:27 PM

After sewing a 4 patch, I had my husband cut a 3 1/4' sq. out of glass. I marked in 3/4' from the left corners and then with permanent fine point marker, crossing them in the middle. Then match the seam where they cross and trim off all the corners. FEELS SO GOOD TO BE THROWING OUT SO MUCH MATERIAL THAT IS SO SMALL THAT I CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH IT. Turn glass over to get a different look. I love that my 2 1/2' squares are finnally getting a new look
Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 AM

I've made several postage stamp quilts with strips cut at 1=1/2" strips sewn into 4-strip blocks. Finished postage stamp blocks are 1". I always thought all postage stamp blocks were finished at 1". If I'm wrong, let me know! Also, my understanding is that a charm quilt is constructed with all blocks identical (any size) and with no repetition of fabrics. If someone knows otherwise, please let me know.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Andrea
I've made several postage stamp quilts with strips cut at 1=1/2" strips sewn into 4-strip blocks. Finished postage stamp blocks are 1". I always thought all postage stamp blocks were finished at 1". If I'm wrong, let me know! Also, my understanding is that a charm quilt is constructed with all blocks identical (any size) and with no repetition of fabrics. If someone knows otherwise, please let me know.
I think the general idea behind postage stamp quilts is simply that they use small square blocks. They can be 1 or 1.5 or 2 inches in size (any larger than that and they stop looking like postage stamps, IMO). And I always thought the charm quilts were called that because they used charm packs (5" precuts). Am I wrong?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM

[ And I always thought the charm quilts were called that because they used charm packs (5" precuts). Am I wrong?[/quote]

Yep... ;o) They made charm quilts long before charm packs were ever invented. Charm quilts go back as far as the 1800's or longer.

I always thought postage stamp quilts were made using 2" or smaller squares. Not sure if they have to be all different fabrics or not. I have an antique one I bought and will have to get it out and look at it. I think its got some squares alike.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:26 PM

I am sending you some 2" squares in the mail tomorrow and I will send more as I get them cut. Keep us updated on your progress.

Hey Patty Mahoney are you the one that is on the paper pieces web site. They have a gallery of photos and someone is doing a king sized quilt with really tiny hexies.thought it might be you
Old 08-14-2011, 05:20 PM

I have received some 2" from some forum members and I really appreciate you helping me with this project.