Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
These two fabrics make me dizzy >

These two fabrics make me dizzy

These two fabrics make me dizzy

Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I dont know what to do. My son picked out these for a quilt along with about 10 other fabrics. I've been putting off making the quilt because every time I try to cut these or iron them I get dizzy and sick feeling. So again this morning I decide to work on this quilt, I just finished ironing the white one and my eyes hurt and I feel just awful. Theres two more fabrics in this quilt he wants that do the same thing. Any suggestions on how to use these fabrics and not die in the process?
Can you put these back for borders---------which you can cut and sew a lot faster? I love them, but mercy, I see what you mean!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:00 PM

Ummm... cut them V*E*R*Y small, the smaller, the better. In fact, I was just watching a 3-part video on Noriko Endo's site about landscape quilting with tiny, tiny scraps of fabric. I think these fabrics would make a lovely addition to landscape quilting, even if it IS black-and-white landscape quilting. :lol:
Old 08-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Me too
Old 08-07-2011, 03:52 PM

Mercy, I would call this project, a labor of love!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:58 PM
lue

I would iron the fabric on the back side and do the cutting of it from the back side. Once it is in smaller pieces it shouldn't be as hard on your eyes. When you are assembling it, it will be wrong side up. Try that and see if it works.[/quote]

Great idea! Why didn't I think of that!
Old 08-07-2011, 04:30 PM

I think it's time to have a sit down talk with your son and explain how these fabric affect you. You didn't mention your son's age. Did he buy the fabric? What do the ten other fabrics look like? If he is an adult, a simple explanation should do the trick. There are places online where new fabric can be resold and at lat l east get part of the money back. If he is a child, then it may be time to say, "Sorry Son, this fabric makes me sick and I'm not able to do this quilt right now." Perhaps you can take him to buy a less offensive (to you) fabric. Best of luck

~~~~
uote=leatheflea]I dont know what to do. My son picked out these for a quilt along with about 10 other fabrics. I've been putting off making the quilt because every time I try to cut these or iron them I get dizzy and sick feeling. So again this morning I decide to work on this quilt, I just finished ironing the white one and my eyes hurt and I feel just awful. Theres two more fabrics in this quilt he wants that do the same thing. Any suggestions on how to use these fabrics and not die in the process?[/quote]
Old 08-07-2011, 04:32 PM

I think it's time to have a sit down talk with your son and explain how these fabric affect you. You didn't mention your son's age. Did he buy the fabric? What do the ten other fabrics look like? If he is an adult, a simple explanation should do the trick. There are places online where new fabric can be resold and at lat l east get part of the money back. If he is a child, then it may be time to say, "Sorry Son, this fabric makes me sick and I'm not able to do this quilt right now." Perhaps you can take him to buy a less offensive (to you) fabric. Best of luck

~~~~
Quote=leatheflea]I dont know what to do. My son picked out these for a quilt along with about 10 other fabrics. I've been putting off making the quilt because every time I try to cut these or iron them I get dizzy and sick feeling. So again this morning I decide to work on this quilt, I just finished ironing the white one and my eyes hurt and I feel just awful. Theres two more fabrics in this quilt he wants that do the same thing. Any suggestions on how to use these fabrics and not die in the process?[/quote]
Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I dont know what to do. My son picked out these for a quilt along with about 10 other fabrics. I've been putting off making the quilt because every time I try to cut these or iron them I get dizzy and sick feeling. So again this morning I decide to work on this quilt, I just finished ironing the white one and my eyes hurt and I feel just awful. Theres two more fabrics in this quilt he wants that do the same thing. Any suggestions on how to use these fabrics and not die in the process?
I am with you those make my head spin looking at them on my screen. But I am doing Chemo right now so anything makes me sick :lol:

Honestly have you tried using backlighting yet? In other words go to Lowes and find you those colored light bulbs and put a couple in the room with you maybe then it will cut down on the contrast like black lighting or a purple/blue/red...................

Billy
Old 08-07-2011, 05:06 PM

I wish you the best of luck on this one.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:11 PM

I think he would be doing the cutting and putting together....he may choose different fabrics next time....I could hardly look at this fabric, I feel for you.