Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
These two fabrics make me dizzy >

These two fabrics make me dizzy

These two fabrics make me dizzy

Old 08-07-2011, 05:20 PM

My son is 18, I made him a quilt back about 5 years ago and now he wants another. I've been putting this off for quite some time. Between sewing for my shop and sewing for donation I put off what isnt top of the list. And being that this one hurt my eyes it fell to the bottom quickly. I've cut the dizzy fabric now and I'm in the process of piecing, should have it done by the end of the week. Should is the key word, theres many other things that I'm also working on at this time, Wish me luck.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:37 PM

I am sure what ever you decide will come out awesome. However I could never work with that material; learnt at a young age that dots make me dizzy can't even look in a dryer.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:43 PM

Me too!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 PM

Would love to see what you come up with there.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:52 PM

Artificial light may be easier than daylight, softer light bulbs. I've used stuff that made me dizzy, too. But the recipient sure did love it! So it was all worth it.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 PM

I understand your problem...I just used the identical fabric in a quilt...mixed it with pinks.

As another quilter posted, press and cut it from the back and it will be easier. You might want to cover the fabric to the right of the ruler with a solid fabric to minimize the amount of this black and white piece available to your eyes.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by psquared52
I think i've used both those fabrics for a quilt! A friend's daughter used black and white fabrics as overlays when she married. Way too much fabric to waste (after the wedding) so I decided to make them a quilt. Divided fabrics into light/dark stacks. Cut large squares, which i cut diagonally into 4 pieces. Add a thin strip of red and rejoined the blocks. Still seemed too busy so I added red sashing, finishing it with black and white borders and red binding. It does drive your eyes nutty so use your camera to help with color values. Very pleased when it was finally done! And they have a wedding memory quilt. Hope this helps!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I love this idea with the red its stunning , Lime green would look stunning also Dottie Bug
Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 PM

I can sympathise with you re making a quilt with these fabrics. A lady brought black and white shiny striped silk to me years ago to make a dress for her for a very special occasion. She wanted a gored skirt which was cut on the diagonal grain and all seams had to be joined with the stripes matching in a "V" shape.
Within about ten minutes I was so giddy I had started vomiting. I didn't quite understand what was happening, I had to sit down at the cutting table as I was so whoosy I couldn't stand up and then fell over going to the toilet to be sick. Even to this day I am
still very affected by this type of fabric and your son's quilt fabric is gorgeous but I must admit "I am glad I am not the one making the quilt for him". Good luck with it. lol Gleniveve
Old 08-08-2011, 12:02 AM

try and work with them keeping one eye closed, reason you get sick is your eyes are having difficulty focussing
Old 08-08-2011, 04:29 AM

Wow! They make me dizzy too!