Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
john Flynn  Multi Frame Advice please.... >

john Flynn Multi Frame Advice please....

john Flynn Multi Frame Advice please....

Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 AM
jme

What can y'all tell me about these? Does anyone use them? Are they easy to use? They are 2 for sale on craig's list in my area for $50 and I was thinking about getting it with my birthday money but I don't know anything about them. The seller's say that it will work with any home sewing machine. I'm very interested but don't want to spend all my money if.........ya know. What are y'alls thoughts?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 AM

Do a search on the board for flynn or john flynn. You will get varying opinions on the frame. I think I'd give it a try for $50.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 AM

I'd give it a try for $50.00....From what I understand they do work, but you need room for the rails......I've been thinking of getting one...Looking forward to seeing responses from those that have them.....
Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 AM

Never used one before, I hear they can be used with any machine. Look like it is worth investing in. Check out this link

http://quiltersreview.com/index.php/...-quilting-fly/
Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 AM

I've studied them. Some things to consider..
#1 your machine.... how deep is the throat? this is reccommended for a minimum throat of 6-9 inches ( darn it mine is right at 6 inches)
#2 are these advertised fro sale, the old style or or the new? old style = u use wooden dowels, new style u use light wt fiberglass/pvc or metal--- this could mean a big wt difference ( they connect to the frame a bit differently)
U can purchase the adaptor kit to convert the rails, but thats an additional $20-30 bucks)
#3 do they come with the " extension rollers" ( PVC pipe that act as a extention table , so that u are not having to hold up the entire length of the frame that is not under the needle.
http://www.flynnquilt.com/

good luck
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Some people love them, some hate them. If you have a chance to try it out, that might help you make up your mind.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 AM
jme

Originally Posted by Sewfine
Never used one before, I hear they can be used with any machine. Look like it is worth investing in. Check out this link

Thanks, that was a good review. Maybe I will give it a try. I quilted 2 lap size quilts on my machine (straight lines only) and I have done some hand quilting (good for winter time when the kids are in school and you can't go outside) but this appeals to me. I sew on my dining table and don't have a lot of space.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:35 AM
cjk

mine is in the closet. Hate it!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jme
Originally Posted by Sewfine

Thanks, that was a good review. Maybe I will give it a try. I quilted 2 lap size quilts on my machine (straight lines only) and I have done some hand quilting (good for winter time when the kids are in school and you can't go outside) but this appeals to me. I sew on my dining table and don't have a lot of space.
One consideration is the amount of area you need for the frame to move from side to side.
If your quilt is 5 feet wide, the frame will stick out 5 feet to the left as you start out, moving over to the full 5 feet to the right. If you want to quilt a full, queen or king? Remember you will need the room to have the whole quilt on one side of the machine too :wink:
This has been problematic for some with smaller tables/work spaces :D:D:D
Old 08-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Mine is also in the closet. Hated it.
Very hard to handle and the pvc pipes kept falling off the table. That was without the extensions for large quilts which by the way will require as much room as a long arm table.