Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone use a coffee percolator? >

Anyone use a coffee percolator?

Anyone use a coffee percolator?

Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 AM

We've had a Bunn coffeemaker for 25 years. I do have an old Mirro percolator with the little glass top. It's in a basket with old cookware to use on the gas grill duirng power outages.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:49 AM

Okay....just used the Farberware electric percolator this morning for the first time. Remember, this is an old one so I was a bit nervous. I added the water and coffee grounds and plugged it in. It brewed nicely but I didn't know when it was finished. It did begin to make a different sound so assumed it was done. I unplugged it and poured a cup. It was pretty good but I could have made it stronger.
This little gem didn't come with instructions.
Thanks everyone for all your responses. It's nice to know so many people still use percolators. (like the old days)
Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 AM

lets say; I have one. A friend gave me one several years ago when mine auto one broke. I used it until I got a new one but decided to keep it as a back up plus I have one of those really large ones for parties. You have to play w/the # of scoops just like the auto ones to get the balance right. Depending on the brand it could be hotter but since it stays on it can burn quickly as well. Just try it to see if you like it or not.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 AM

I use a Farberware electric percolator...and it's very fast. Have two sizes. And I think the coffee is much better than from any kind of drip system. It does stay hot enough. Even when my DH gets up earlier than I do (most days) the coffee is still fine when I stumble to the pot...doesn't have that overcooked or scorched taste. Wouldn't use anything else.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 AM
MM

We've used Farberware electric percolators for 40+ years. When one dies, I have to rush to get another one as it is the only way DH wants his coffee. He insists that the coffee is hotter in percolators than in drip machines, and he wants his HOT.

If your machine is working properly, luvstitches, it will stop perking when it is done. Then if you wait a few minutes, the water still in the basket will drip down into the pot and you won't have such a drippy mess when you remove the basket. Leave it plugged in to keep your coffee hot.

Strength depends on how much coffee you start with and I think it's a matter of trial and error to get it the way YOU like it.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by sweet
I've used my Farberware percolator many times. It came in handy during power outages (when we had a camp stove). I have a little one and a larger one. Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to put it to use this week!
That's the reason we have one too. We have a gas stove and can still have our cup-O-Joe in the am.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM

My sister turned me on to the Farberware electric perculator a few years ago. At that time neither of us drank coffee. She pulled out the insides and used it for heating water for tea. So when I found one that's what I used it for. Then I discovered it boils water so much faster than the stovetop and used it for that purpose. Then my son gave me an electric tea kettle for Christmas. The perculator is up in the cupboard now since I have a coffeemaker. I've kept all the parts in case someday I want to have a backup.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 AM

I have an old electric percolator in our camper that was my mom's & I love it. My friends tease me & call it vintage, but it makes great coffee & I don't have to worry about it being broken while in transit. For dry camping I have a enamel stove top one & like that too. My mom has always used a percolator & does still. I wouldn't mind using one at home, but my husband likes the speed of a coffee maker.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by MM
We've used Farberware electric percolators for 40+ years. When one dies, I have to rush to get another one as it is the only way DH wants his coffee. He insists that the coffee is hotter in percolators than in drip machines, and he wants his HOT.

If your machine is working properly, luvstitches, it will stop perking when it is done. Then if you wait a few minutes, the water still in the basket will drip down into the pot and you won't have such a drippy mess when you remove the basket. Leave it plugged in to keep your coffee hot.

Strength depends on how much coffee you start with and I think it's a matter of trial and error to get it the way YOU like it.
Thank you for the info. I was nervous with this older Farberware percolator being plugged in too long. I'm going to use it again tomorrow morning. I love the sound of it too. I guess it reminds me of when I was very young.
Nancy
Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 AM

I just gave up using the Mr. Coffee coffeemaker and went back to my electric Farberware pot. It does make the coffee stay hotter and it perks really fast so I don't have to wait to long for the "first" morning cup. Love it. You can also get a timer to plug it into and it will be made when you get up. This is what I do.