Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone use a coffee percolator? >

Anyone use a coffee percolator?

Anyone use a coffee percolator?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:59 AM

We make our coffee in a percolator and will never go back to the "drip" coffee maker due to our tasting a plastic taste. Company likes it much better too. Not good later on from the pot though - ugh! Guess that is with all coffee makers - best to perk only the amount you are going to drink right away.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:09 PM

I use a percolator, the coffee tastes better. It has a richer flavor. You will love it.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

A wonderful trip down memory lane. Loved everyone's comments.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:10 PM

I use mine all the time. It's great when there's a power outage! Plus, it reminds me of when I was little (I'm only 28) but it's something mom and I did together all the time. Mine's not electric at all.

If we're having people over and someone wants decaf and other people want regular, it's super handy.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:29 PM

just a note - the corningware coffee pots (white base, metal band at top with handle) are NOT SAFE to use. The handle can suddenly separate from the base, splashing you with hot coffee. This is direct from Corningware. Save it to water plants.

You will all think I am weird, but this is how I make coffee for me (decaf) and DH (reg.) I should say we cook on a woodstove so instant heat is not always available.

Boil water in pot. In 2nd pot, add 4 scoops decaf. Pour boiling water over, let stand 5 minutes. Boil more water. Strain coffee into 3rd pot, put grounds back in 2nd pot, add 8 scoops regular coffee. Pour boiling water over, let stand 5 minutes. Boil more water. Strain coffee into 4th pot. Grounds back in 2nd pot. Pour more boiling water over, let stand, strain, mix with coffee in 4th pot.

Makes enough for 3 days, we keep in the fridge and nuke a cup as needed. Also good for iced coffee in this weather (yum!) Because the coffee is not subjected to heat from below, it is not bitter.
I find myself not liking coffee I have at other places since I like my kind so well.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
just a note - the corningware coffee pots (white base, metal band at top with handle) are NOT SAFE to use. The handle can suddenly separate from the base, splashing you with hot coffee. This is direct from Corningware. Save it to water plants.

You will all think I am weird, but this is how I make coffee for me (decaf) and DH (reg.) I should say we cook on a woodstove so instant heat is not always available.

Boil water in pot. In 2nd pot, add 4 scoops decaf. Pour boiling water over, let stand 5 minutes. Boil more water. Strain coffee into 3rd pot, put grounds back in 2nd pot, add 8 scoops regular coffee. Pour boiling water over, let stand 5 minutes. Boil more water. Strain coffee into 4th pot. Grounds back in 2nd pot. Pour more boiling water over, let stand, strain, mix with coffee in 4th pot.

Makes enough for 3 days, we keep in the fridge and nuke a cup as needed. Also good for iced coffee in this weather (yum!) Because the coffee is not subjected to heat from below, it is not bitter.
I find myself not liking coffee I have at other places since I like my kind so well.
Wow that sounds like a lot of work!!! I bet it does have a wonderful taste that can't compare to regular drip.
Thanks for sharing your way to make delicious coffee.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM

I still have the old aluminum percolater that we used when
we went camping. Not sure why I kept it, but have no intention of getting rid of it either. As I remember it, I
think the persolator made a better tasing coffee. Might have to reconsider and get an electric one.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:04 PM

Ramona---When you mentioned you GM using the egg in that large pot reminded me. Mine mixed the ground coffee and egg together and tied the mixture in a cloth bag. That way there was no grounds or egg shell in the coffee. The cloth acted as a filter does in our regular pots. Marge L.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 PM

Ramona---When you mentioned your GM using the egg in that large pot reminded me. Mine mixed the ground coffee and egg together and tied the mixture in a cloth bag. That way there was no grounds or egg shell in the coffee. The cloth acted as a filter does in our regular pots. Marge L.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 PM

I grew up smelling that great perc coffee. It is much better than todays drip coffee. It needs to be timed (10 min.) after
it starts perking. And it is always great to have a coffee maker
to make coffee when the power goes out. Which it does here
quit often in our winters.
My DH is a coffee lover. It flows all day long.

Flo in NNY