What do you buy online?

Old 08-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I've seen a lot of posters saying that they buy fabric online and many that they buy from their LQS to keep them in business.

The reality is, it seems more and more people buy more and more online, at the expense of their local retailers who aren't getting that business. I know I've been guilty at times.

So, what do you buy online? And what do you use the internet to research, but would never buy anywhere but locally? Not just talking sewing... I mean anything you purchase online -- clothing, computers, tv, appliances, etc.....

(BTW- I bought some fabric from my LQS yesterday - for the record! lol)
I research everything on the internet first, but I only buy everything locally! wherever I am and locally is .... some fabric at my LQS, but in reality am now happily "shopping in my stash" mostly. I find budgets have gotten much tighter recently!
I like to see and feel the fabric that I am getting.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM

I buy most everything on line. I have a lot of health problems and so don't go out unless absolutely necessary. Once in a while I will go to Walmart or Joann's. Joann's and the local shops are getting so high priced for fabrics that I can't afford to shop there,but with coupons I will shop Joann's. I buy mostly from Fabric.com, Connectingthreads.com or Hancocks. From what I understand with all the drought this year in the cotton producing states, prices will even go highter, so guess I'll be shopping from my "stash"
Old 08-08-2011, 06:31 PM

I do both - I love buying at LQS because I can see and feel the fabric - but I also love Moda Pre-cuts and I have a hard time passing them up.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM

I get most of my sewing machine parts online at Sew4Less, and I do a lot of gardening online.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:31 PM

We don't have many stores so sometimes we have no choice but to order online. With gasoline prices like they are (went up 6 cents a gallon last week) we have to decide if it would be cheaper to order or cheaper to drive 2 hours each way to get to the nearest shopping district.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Everything except food. Live in a small town.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM

I buy EVERYTHING online... live in a rural community in Alaska ( approx 75 people, no roads in or out, everything has to come by air or by sea.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 AM

More and more, I find myself buying Christmas gifts on line. With the price of gas, and the time it takes to drive 40+ miles to a mall or store, it's so much easier to take the lists, find the stuff at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or wherever and have it shipped to me. Quite often there is "free" shipping with purchases, so it's even cheaper than driving, parking, shopping, driving back home, etc.

I also buy shoes (I have a very average foot), clothes and all my Avon on the internet (my rep who is also my daughter still gets paid for my orders).
Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 AM

I buy a lot of my fabric online. As much as I would love to support the one (not so L) LQS - I cannot afford $16+ for regular cotton fabric that I can get at Whittles online for $5-7. That one LQS charges upwards of $18-20 for batik. I can't afford that, we're on a tight budget, and we're a young family.

I'd love to shop locally, but if the price is that outrageous, I'll pass.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

I buy just about everything on-line: books from Amazon, fabric, anything to do with quilting, clothing, Merrill shoes
My LQS carries fabric that doesn't interest me.
I don't like my local bookstore
And, I can get a much wider selection and price on everything than I can in a local store

Locally I buy food, Walmart, Home Depot, plants and flowers, liquor and wine