Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone really dislikes to exercise as much as I do? >

Anyone really dislikes to exercise as much as I do?

Anyone really dislikes to exercise as much as I do?

Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

Am sure I dislike exercise as much as you do - so I don't.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 PM

It's really tough sometimes to get motivated. I used to be in great shape - I would get those old video tapes out with aerobics or toning exercise and follow along - you have to work your way up - I suggest doing 10 mins or so - then work your way up slowly - go 15 mins - then 20 and so on - eventually you will be surprised at how quick it goes and how much easier it gets - but don't feel bad if you can't do an hour straight - most people can't - just do a little - and soon enough you will be fine.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM

Trying going with another person, you'll make eachother accountable for going to the gym. I go to water fitness a couple times a week. As we get older exercise has to become a part of are lives. I have RA, so I have to keep moving. I've met some wonderful ladies in the pool we have some interesting conversations.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 PM

I did a year or two in a gym and I found it boring, and then just stopped going. Late 50's and quite 'fluffy' so I needed to do something.
Hubby and I recently started going to Crossfit...we love it. It's thought of here as just being for elite athletes and I must admit, it's mostly younger people that go. But, it's scaleable to all ages and fitness levels. There's always something different each day and our instructor is very good and does push us, which is what I need...lol. While I might hate it while we're actually doing the workout, I'm thrilled that I managed to get through it and feel quite invigorated afterwards. And I'm feeling lots of benefits from it...better balance, stronger.
We often laugh..it's often said that as one gets older that one should do 'gentle' exercise...lol...not these oldies who sometimes think they're in their 20's...lol. We jumped in with both feet. I must admit, hubby has always been fit so it's not such a big deal for him :) It's something I'll keep doing as long as I can..or can afford it
Old 08-09-2011, 03:42 PM

Exercise?
Well, I JUMP out of bed, I JUMP into the shower, I RUN off to work , I FLY through the day, I DASH through my shopping, I LIFT my own spirits, I JUMP at the chance, I buy fabric in LEAPS and BOUNDS, I CLIMB my way thru life, I JOG my memory, I SWIM thru tons of laundry, I THROW on a meal, I HIKE up the stairs, I JUMP back into bed and I SKIP exercising…….no wonder I am too tired to go to the gym!

Yeah, being fluffy is not easy!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

I don't excercise. I am way out of shape, overweight and just plain plain. Don't bother me, more time to do my chores and make quilts.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

MEE>>>>>>waving hands high in the air..

I even had a lapband done to help lose weight and without daily exercise the weight loss has stopped..I only have 30 pounds more to go and I just CAN NOT make myself exercise any more...it is has been over a year since I stopped due to the back/hip pains..but now I really need to get back to it...sigh...&$*#&$#(*#& exercise...
Old 08-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I hear you!!!!!!! If it isn't fun I hate it.
Love riding my bike, love swimming, HATE to sweat!
I am doing Pilates privately with my son, who's an instructor and love it. Love Yoga.
Aerobics is something else I can't stand. Love doing weights but can't just do that all the time :)

I really hate to sweat!
Sorry...can't resist this one since I just read your thread...aren't you afraid of offending people who do like to sweat??? LOL.

I don't much care for exercise myself, but I sure do get a lot of it. I just don't go to a gym. Yardwork. Housework, for that matter. Horseback riding. Swimming. And, like you, love yoga. The trick is to not make it such a chore. Find something you like to do and have fun with it.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:35 PM

I love exercing...I can sit and watch someone do it for hours. lol
Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
I don't do well in gyms at all. I can't think of anything less enjoyable. I do, however, like exercise outdoors. I run four days a week, and I walk on at least one day, sometimes 2. I don't bother with an iPod (although I do have one). It's my meditation time, and I find peace and solace in the rhythm of my breathing and footfalls. I don't attend a brick-and-mortar church--my sanctuary is a quiet blacktop path through the woods in my town. God and I have some really good conversations out there, and I feel it is my duty to take care of and USE the amazing body he designed for us.

If you find an activity that brings you joy in just the simple act of being alive and human, you will not have difficulty sticking with it. Walking, running, cycling, hiking, swimming--our bodies can do SO MUCH. If the gym doesn't work for you, go outside and try something else. This is coming from a once-upon-a-time couch potato. I'm still a work in progress, but I'm getting to a point where running is just one of those things I do every day, like eating dinner or having my morning coffee.

I could go on and on with this subject (and I still might ;)) but that's how I do it. I've found the thing that brings my soul to life.
Oh my gosh, what a triumphant statement. Love it. I just need to react to it.