Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Price for Craft Show Booth??? >

Price for Craft Show Booth???

Price for Craft Show Booth???

Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 AM

My husband & I just got back from an Art Festival today. While there he asked a vendor about the sales tax. She told him that they could make up to $600 before having to pay sales tax.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM

here in SE MI, they run from $20 and up, tables extra. some supply the tables - hit and miss around here.

I had a booth one time near someone who sold candles and the scents made me sick (allergies). Since then, I've requested to be place away from any fragrances and have actually gotten better spots (not in the middle of the room). Doesn't mean it's helped with sales but craft shows around here have been horrible the past couple of years. People are looking for "cheap" but good products. Most of what I sold was under $10 items.

I usuall made my table money ($25-$30) plus another $20-$40 more. So for me, it just wasn't worth sitting there all day and all the prep work.

Good Luck !!!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by busygranny
.... People come usually with a set amount of money to spend ...
When it comes to Craft Shows, my wife and I have come to the same conclusion. Buyers tend to love crafts or they wouldn’t be there, and unless something really catches their interest, they are careful about “breaking the bank” by spending too much money. I think there are two basic types of Buyers that frequent Craft Shows, and both groups generally have a pre-decided limit on their show spending.

Those in the first group love crafts and do crafts themselves. They’re basically there to see what the newest thing is, and for inspiration to further their own crafting. An indication of someone in this group is when they say “What a cute idea! How cool! I can do that!”, and if you’re lucky, they’ll buy one from you to take home to dissect when they make their own (just in case they forget how you did it). Next year, when you set up at the same show, you may recognize one of your customers from last year.

The other group also loves crafts, but for one reason or another, would rather buy a craft ready-made from you. Some may be former or current crafters, and could possibly even create your item easily, but have some reason why they’re not able to do it at the moment. Maybe it’s lack of time, “life” being in the way, or lack of motivation at the present time. Some may be also be very active crafters at the moment, but are active in another line or type of craft, and buy things that are outside of their “expertise” when it comes to your particular craft item. With any luck, they’ll buy one to provide a gift to someone whom they’ve already lavished with their own type of items and are looking for something different. Some may have tried and failed to “be crafty” (at least in their opinion), but still have a love for crafted items.

Regardless of which group buys from you, the idea is to sell your craft items at the show, so don’t get too hung up on which “group” the Buyers are in. All of the Buyers in both groups are the ones that you need to sell to, if you’re lucky. Remember that all of them are there to spend “a few dollars”, so try to capture all of those dollars that you can.

I haven’t even touched on the larger group of attendees that I call “lookers” (but not Buyers) that could be future Buyers that you’re competing for....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-14-2011, 11:50 AM

[quote=Raggiemom]I'm thinking about having a booth at a local craft fair in October. It's a 10x10 booth and the price is $50. If I want to borrow their tables, it's $10 per table. My husband thinks $50 is alot for a booth and pointed out I would have to sell quite a bit to make a profit with that

To me, the main thing to look for along even more than cost is what type of items are being sold at the show. I make handbags and am proud of the workmanship and materials that I put into them. The only shows I will participate in DO NOT ALLOW RESALE (sheets/handbags/sunglasses etc. from China or wherever!) First off, it cheapens the whole event - turns it into a flea market - and second, it's hard to compete against something selling for $5 - even if it does fall apart in a few weeks! :-)
My son/DIL and mom have been doing a local monthly market days for about 6 months - we each have different types of 'art' (DIL - silver jewelry, mom-tole painting and me, handbags) so have a booth for each. We purchased canopies and tables once we decided we really liked doing it. We also made a commitment for the whole year at $20/month so very reasonable. They only feature homegrown/handmade items. When we first started, someone said if they made 5X their booth fee, they felt they had a good day. So far, we've exceeded that each time easily. The worst day I had was about $200 but generally make around $500/day and that's about what mom and DIL are doing as well so we're pleased. We're considering a 3 day indoor show that supports our local crisis center but that will be $100/day so still mulling that one over!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
My husband & I just got back from an Art Festival today. While there he asked a vendor about the sales tax. She told him that they could make up to $600 before having to pay sales tax.
Uuummmm.....They may have been referring to Income Tax instead of Sales Tax...

CD in Oklahoma

ETA (Edited to Add) In some states, all sales are subject to Sales Tax, including yard sales and selling to a neighbor or a family member....
Old 08-14-2011, 12:09 PM

I use to do craft shows and paid as much as $150 for a 2 day show! I feel $50 is very reasonable.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 PM

It sounds reasonable to me. I'd do it if just to find out what it is like. Be sure to have lots of quick sale items.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:23 PM

That is a reasonable price for a booth. Some of the larger big shows charge much more. We did craft shows for 20 years all over Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and some in Arkansas and we paid anywhere from $50 to $250 per booth and we had 2 booths to rent. Plus travel expenses also. Starting at a small local show is a good way to find out how you like doing shows.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
In some states, all sales are subject to Sales Tax, including yard sales and selling to a neighbor or a family member....
Illinois is hurting for money. They have now made it easy to collect sales tax by adding a line on the income tax form. This last year we were offered an amnesty back to 2004 - pay voluntarily or pay penalties if & when the state caught up with you. Any kind of purchase is subject to some kind of tax here including out of state.

Why? Because in 1955, the Illinois General Assembly passed the Use Tax Act. Use Tax is a sales tax that you, as the purchaser, owe on items that you buy for use in Illinois.
• Did you buy goods outside Illinois to use or consume in Illinois?
• Would they have been taxable in Illinois?
• If you bought goods within the United States, did you pay less sales tax than you would have paid in Illinois? If less pay the difference.
If you answered “yes” to these questions, you may owe Illinois Use Tax.

So anybody doing business should be prepared to collect whatever taxes are collected locally. It's not difficult - just write every sale down in some fashion. Keep records to prove you are being a good little business person.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 PM

On the subject of Sales Tax at a Craft Show.....

I really should stress that collecting and submitting Sales Tax, even if you’re only a one-time show Seller, shouldn’t be anything to be afraid of. I would encourage everyone to collect and submit Sales Tax when being a Vendor at any show. It’s just a part of being “in business”, and once you’ve decided to have a booth at a show, you’ve now become a “Vendor”, or a “business person” within your state. I congratulate you!

If it weren’t for Sales Tax revenue (in those states that collect them), we wouldn’t have the money feeding into our communities to pay for the benefits that we all rather enjoy. Other states have chosen to rely on other types of taxes, especially Property Taxes, to achieve the same thing. Communities must have money to pay for public benefits. We’re not talking about anything new here, but for the ones that are new to this type of taxation, and how to be a part of it, maybe I can relieve their stress.

When we sell something at our B&M shop, the Sales Tax collected goes to our local City, County, and State Agencies that all depend on those taxes to fund budgets for public works. We, as a community, have decided by vote to raise the funds needed by our agencies through the taxing of sales within the community, including our shop.

In the state of Oklahoma, the Sales Tax revenues that we submit from Craft Shows go to the City, County, & State in which the show took place. That means, if my wife and I are Vendors at a Craft Show in another Oklahoma community other than our own, we submit the tax revenue from that show to that community (Oklahoma taxes on the place of sale, not where you’re from. Other states may vary.). Same thing when we do a show in Texas. When at a show in Texas, we submit the Sales Taxes to the City, County, and State of Texas. I do all of our Sales Taxes on-line to each state. We have signed up for tax numbers for both states just to help our record keeping go smoothly, but it may not be necessary for “occasional Sellers”. Yes, it’s a little more paperwork, but since we’re a B&M shop, it’s just part of being in business.

Even if you don’t have a business, and aren’t into the full-time business reporting mode, you can still participate as an occasional Seller to raise funds for yourself by being active in a Craft Show, and comply with your state’s Sales Tax requirements at the same time. (See my former post in this thread about the venue providing a form for Sales Tax submission.)

I know....we all fear the “Tax Man”. But in the case of Sales Taxes, it’s a really good feeling to be a part of the business system that makes “things happen” in your community (and make some income for yourself too). Don’t be afraid of collecting Sales Taxes when you participate in a Craft Show. Your state will make it as easy as possible for you to collect and submit Sales Taxes.

Go to your state website, or talk to a local business to find out how to easily comply with your state’s Sales Tax regulations to have fun and make a little extra money at a Craft Show. In most cases, the Sales Taxes are a very small portion of your sales anyway. Compliance is much cheaper than any fine they may impose upon you for non-compliance. Besides that, you’ll never have to keep looking over your shoulder to see if “the Tax Man cometh” and be afraid. Instead, you can say, “Let the Taxman come, or cometh, what-ever, I’m in compliance! Now, let’s get down to selling!”

CD in Oklahoma