Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about craft booth item.... >

Question about craft booth item....

Question about craft booth item....

Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 PM

Default Question about craft booth item....

Our quilt guild is going to have a craft booth at our Quilt Show in October. My fellow quilters have been making all sorts of cute items, like pin cushions, clothes pin bags, tissue covers, beach bags, baby clothes, pot holders, thread collectors, etc. I just couldn't get interested in making any of those. Sort of "been there, done that"...but I came up with the idea of making small quilts for cats or dogs.

I have made quilts like this for most of my friends' pets, and I thought they might sell for $10 or $12. The money goes to the guild, not to me.

But now I am questioning this decision? Is this something you think someone might buy who comes to a quilt show? I am making sure each has a fabric with cats or dogs on it, so the small quilts don't get confused with our mini quilt auction which is also part of the Quilt Show.

Here are a few that I have made....the blue one doesn't have the binding quite finished, but you can get the jest. Do you think these quilts are a good idea? I have been enjoying making them, but, like I said, I am having second thoughts.

Thanks for any input.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001940.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 08:15 PM

I think they are a great idea! People love buying stuff for their pets and your quilts are so cute. Your price is good too.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 PM

I forgot to say good luck!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 PM

I think it's a great idea, I just made one a couple weeks ago for my daughter's dog who was going through chemo and thought he could use something nice and soft (but easily washable) to lay on. Unfortunately he suddenly passed away before she got it, but they have two other dogs so it won't go unused. Best of luck, those are really cute quilts!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:58 PM

Last year I checked out the boutiques in our area to see what was available and what booths seemed to be doing the most business. Hands down, the booths that sold pet items were the busiest. From personal experience, I prefer the type of quilts you are making to the ones with fleece. Impossible to get the pet hair out when you wash the fleece. I think you have a good idea and your quilts are really cute.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:10 PM

They could also be used for doll quilts, so Grandmothers may buy one. But people do spend a great deal on their pets.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:12 AM

I think they'll sell well. One suggestion... make some without pet-themed fabrics too. That way they'd work for any pet, and perhaps be more welcome in some people's decor. And as someone else mentioned, they could double as doll blankets. Wonderful idea and craftsmanship; best of luck on your guild's show!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

Good Morning Dina. How about making a few mug rugs? Do a simple peak and curve Bargello with 1" or .5" finished strips. It never hurts to donate anything to a guild's garage sale. Maybe make some smaller doll quilts. Just remember to have fun doing what ever you decide to make.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

Great idea for the pet quilts. Having a big poster of a dog and cat will draw the pet people to that display. One thing to try that worked for our sale table is to not have everything on the table or racks. Have two of the same items displayed. We had more sales when we had a very uncluttered table vs when we put everything on the table.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:30 AM

Okay, everyone, thanks for encouragement and advice.

Dina