Craft Item price tags

Old 09-03-2011, 10:21 AM

When you are selling items at a craft fair or in a craft mall what do you use for price tags or stickers? Do you go fancy with custom card stock hang tags or do you use printer labels or anything else?
I am looking for some creative, yet easily done, ideas.
Tracy
Old 09-03-2011, 10:25 AM

I personally do not like to buy fabric items with stick on labels. Little hang tags attached with a safety pin, or just make a well displayed sign next to each type of item so people can tell the price quickly. I walk away from booths that I can't see the price easily, either on or right by the items.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:28 AM

For Autumn, I made my own from card stock and a hole punch to add the raffia and I used a tiny gold safety pin to connect the tags. Somtimes I would use a ink stamp with little pumplins ans fall leaves. Get creative and use your imagination. Then on the underside of the tag I would use the price tag gun with the sticky labels.

hope you can see these tags
[ATTACH=CONFIG]250978[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-250972.jpe  
Old 09-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
When you are selling items at a craft fair or in a craft mall what do you use for price tags or stickers? Do you go fancy with custom card stock hang tags or do you use printer labels or anything else?
Tracy
If you are looking for repeat business, you need to include your name and contact info on the tag. I always put the price lightly in pencil so it could be erased if given as a gift but my contact info was retained. You can also go with the colored sticker/tag method where the price is not on the item, but posted on a chart. Red is $10, blue is $15ect. This way you can adjust your prices to the fair you are at, or from year to year without having to re price everything. The thing I found worked well was if you gave a discount for multiple purchases, like $15 each or 2 for $25. Everyone likes a bargain!!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 AM

I buy my price tags at Walmart, I get the orange and the green florescent ones, a set of big and a set of medium. I cut off the string and thread yarn or narrow ribbon through the hole in the tag and tie it onto my projects. I think that looks less "retail" because I only sell handmade items. And if it's a holiday sale, I'll draw a little holly w/berries, or little hearts, or something else festive on the tag.

A lot of times people will ask me for my name and phone number when they are interested in an item but can't purchase it right away so I always have cards that I've made up on my Excel program with that information. I make them big, around 3x2, if they are too small they are easily lost, and I print them out on florescent paper so they are easy to spot.

If time permits, I also make custom tags like Belmer, using my Excel program. I put on an item description, the price and my initials (sometimes I'm in a sale where your stuff is spread around so I put on my initials or my sales number if I'm assigned one). So a tag might say "luggage handle covers/stocking stuffer/$1.00/llw"
Old 09-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by belmer
For Autumn, I made my own from card stock and a hole punch to add the raffia and I used a tiny gold safety pin to connect the tags. Somtimes I would use a ink stamp with little pumplins ans fall leaves. Get creative and use your imagination. Then on the underside of the tag I would use the price tag gun with the sticky labels.
This is like what I have done in the past. I design a tag (usually 2-2.5" sq) in my WordPerfect, adding in clip art or something that I have drawn, including my info (address, phone, website). I print them out on colored card stock. I cut them out with a paper cutter to make really clean edges. Then I use a corner punch and make them 'pretty' and thread in a pretty ribbon. When I am marking the pieces, I will either write the price on the back in pencil (in case it is a gift like mentioned before) or use some small round labels that I have preprinted with prices on the computer. I attach the tag to the piece with a small brass safety pin.

Clear as mud right? HTH

I like this because I can change my tags to match either the event, the season or the beneficiary of the money. And there are TONS of clip art available on line for free.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:19 PM

I got regular business cards from Vista Print, they are really cheap. Then I punched a hole in top corner, theaded with a ribbon either tied it on or attached with a small safety pin. For small items I used a 3 X 5 card and wrote information for the display. I also had a stack of business cards sitting on the table.
Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
Tracy
Old 09-03-2011, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to look into the Vista Print pricing. This is one area I'm more than happy to let a professional do the work. I can handle the hole punching and threading a ribbon!
Old 09-03-2011, 05:30 PM

A few years ago I made hang tags out of brown paper bags using pinking shears and burlap twine . Then bought a stamp to print whatever I wanted on tag.