Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will this work??? >

Will this work???

Will this work???

Old 08-19-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by happyjan
What is press and seal I haven't heard of it . Does any one know if it is available in Australia. It sounds like the ideal thing.
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
you could you glad press and seal, wash away embroidery stabilizer, or iron away embroidery stabilizer if you don't want to wash the quilt.
Press and Seal is a product made by Glad. You can find it in the same section with alum. foil in the grocery store. Not sure if you can get it in Australia. You tear off a piece and press it around the rim of what ever you are saving in the frig. Great product, but never thought about using it for quilting. I will keep it in mind.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:57 AM

If you can't get Press'N'Seal, what about lightly spraying 505 on quilt top to hold down the tissue paper...just thinking out loud.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace
I just finished my first table runner and am ready to quilt it. Since I've never done it, I'm wondering.....If I photocopy the pattern onto regular paper, could I just place it on the top and sew right through the paper, then pick the paper out?
As others said, regular paper isn't good - yu'll have all kinds of little paper thingies to pull out. BUT - give parchment paper a try - just got this great idea from a demo at my quilt guild and she said she uses it all the time - pulls away with nothing left behind. Easy to find at your grocery store in the wrap section. She also has tried tissue and does not like that either - paper that ha to be pulled out from stitches (I haven't tried this so am just relating her observations). There is also a product from Golden Threads that looks like yellow tissue but pulls away cleanly. It comes in several widths on rolls and I think there are also some preprinted ones, too.

Hope this helps,
Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 08-19-2011, 04:02 AM

I use water soulable tabelizer to trace quilting patterns. I wash everything when I'm done so it just washes away.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:03 AM

I would use tear away!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:12 AM

We have a product made by Glad called gladwrap it is a thin clingy plastic for covering food on plates etc. It woudn't stick to fabric though so maybe it isn't the same stuff
Originally Posted by Tinabodina
Originally Posted by happyjan
What is press and seal I haven't heard of it . Does any one know if it is available in Australia. It sounds like the ideal thing.
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
you could you glad press and seal, wash away embroidery stabilizer, or iron away embroidery stabilizer if you don't want to wash the quilt.
Press and Seal is a product made by Glad. You can find it in the same section with alum. foil in the grocery store. Not sure if you can get it in Australia. You tear off a piece and press it around the rim of what ever you are saving in the frig. Great product, but never thought about using it for quilting. I will keep it in mind.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:18 AM

I did that exactly for my ddtrs wedding quilt!
Photocopied, pinned on quilted and torn off.
You do have to be careful your stitch is a size smaller than usual or they will be torn out
Old 08-19-2011, 04:22 AM

I've been looking for Glad Press n Seal for about a year (since I heard about it here) but I don't think it is available in Australia. I think it used to be so I don't know why it isn't now.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:33 AM

I recently saw instructions to draw designs on clear, iron off, fusible 4" pieces - Fons and Porter show this week on BYU tv
I am going to try it when I can get to a quilt store for supplies.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:57 AM

I found Glad press'n'seal on ebay, 2 pack for $8.99 aust. but $37.12 for postage!!!
Originally Posted by Newaddict
I've been looking for Glad Press n Seal for about a year (since I heard about it here) but I don't think it is available in Australia. I think it used to be so I don't know why it isn't now.