Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will this work??? >

Will this work???

Will this work???

Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM

i've done that...works ok
Old 08-19-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace
I just finished my first table runner and am ready to quilt it. Since I've never done it, I'm wondering.....If I photocopy the pattern onto regular paper, could I just place it on the top and sew right through the paper, then pick the paper out?
There is a product called "Tear Away" made specifically for this purpose, if Australia has it then the US must have it.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by MelodyWB
I use tissue paper (white) get tons at the dollar store..sew it right on and it pulls right off !!
And here I have been spending money on golden threads paper... I am going to try tissue paper - thank you !
Old 08-19-2011, 03:03 PM

I have done this with great results. :thumbup:
Old 08-19-2011, 03:52 PM

I just finished my first table runner and am ready to quilt it. Since I've never done it, I'm wondering.....If I photocopy the pattern onto regular paper, could I just place it on the top and sew right through the paper, then pick the paper out?
I do this all the time. It makes my FMQ look better, since I am not that good at it. thinner paper would be better but since I use the back side of used paper to copy on it is basically free for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:19 PM

I just tried that a few days ago and it works.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by MelodyWB
I use tissue paper (white) get tons at the dollar store..sew it right on and it pulls right off !!
This is what I use also ;-)
Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 AM

There are specific papers made for this purpose. I've gotten them from Golden Threads and they come out nicely. I've also used tissue paper and it comes out fine too, except when used on darker colors, then you have this trail of white fibers between your stitches. I'm sure they are there with the other colors, you just don't see them. I also use the paper from Golden threads for foundation piecing as it comes out easier and puts less stress on the stitching. Good luck with the FMQ, it takes lots and lots of practice, but don't give up. :thumbup:
Old 08-20-2011, 07:14 PM

I like the idea of tissue paper. You mentioned "folding it" how do you fold it? Also do you trace the pattern on the tissue paper?
Thanks,
wfeld1st
Old 08-20-2011, 07:40 PM

I hand quilt almost exclusively but have always been sorta intrigued by the idea of FMQ. Smaller projects I have done with SITD and it goes quicker. The stuff I see on here done with FMQ makes me drool. So- I borrowed a machine from a friend of mine that had the ability to drop the feed dogs. My only machine is a FW 221. Yeah, feel bad for me :) Getting the hang of moving stuff in different directions is hard as I try it out - but tracing paper on top sounds like genius to me. Thanks for the idea! I'm on it!