Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My boy got skunked! (literally) >

My boy got skunked! (literally)

My boy got skunked! (literally)

Old 08-22-2011, 06:59 AM

My little dog got SKUNKED 3 times in 2 weeks in the middle of the night. Skunk loved my veggie garden!

The Peroxide/ baking soda mix works well. Tomato juice... not so much.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 AM

Dear Trauma RN:

I myself have never had the experience with a skunk but I did hear that a bath in Summer's Eve Douche works. Give it a try & see.

Birdhse
Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
Here is the ultimate in de-skunker..

quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, and a 10-drops of dish soap and 1/4 cup of baking soda.

Wash dog, use rubber gloves - because the skunk oil could end up on you.

Rinse well...

Also - if the dog got in the house and it smells - put a couple of bowls of cider vinegar out and around.. Somehow it absorbs the stink.

The big old boy in my avatar cannot resist skunks.
Ditto on this one. I ran across a university website that had this recipe posted and explained the science behind why/how it works. I didn't care about the science, I just wanted the recipe to work! :)
Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 AM

I agree! the peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap work WAY better than tomato juice... My poor Cali got sprayed 2 times with in 4 weeks a couple years ago, the last time 1 week before our back yard wedding!.... She's not that interested in 'kitties' anymore.
oh. BTW, to keep that skunk out of your yard... depending on where you live.... try Cougar urine around the boundaries.... Worked at my place.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:00 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I will try the peroxide/baking soda mix. I went ahead with the tomato juice because I remembered my mom using it on my dog growing up and I had to do something. It looked like a blood bath in my basement! Tucker hates baths on a good day, lol. All I had was V8 on hand, so the smell of skunk, celery, and wet dog nearly knocked me over! He's still a little pungent, though. Placing bowls of vinegar and lighting candles as we speak...
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by MaryC
I myself have never had the experience with a skunk but I did hear that a bath in Summer's Eve Douche works. Give it a try & see.Birdhse

LOL - I kinda want to ask how folks found this one out, but I think I will remain blissfully ignorant on this one....
Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 AM

My yellow lab Marley got skunked last week. Did the tomato juice, it kind of worked but then found this recipe on the net baking soda peroxide and alittle liquid dish soap. It worked better. If you can wash the dog out side, I didn't and my house still has a faint odor. I have fake wood floors and she didn't touch anything as I took her straight to the bathroom, but that terrible stink just permeates everything. Solutions: lots of febreez,, secented candles, simmer a pan of white vinegar on the stove open all the windows.

OOps, just saw that that was already posted.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 AM

Our dog got it good one time - we tried everything. It helped, but some of it just had to wear off with time. It's nauseating!!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Here's a good one, had a boxer who just couldn't leave the skunks alone...
1 quart of water
1 teaspoon Dawn dishwashing soap [blue one works the best]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract [imitation works fine]
1/4 cup baking soda
pour it on the area that got skunked and leave for 15 or 20 minutes and rinse off may have to do it again in a few days..worked great on my boxer...good luck
Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 AM

After the peroxide & soda, I follow thru with a rinsing of mouth wash from the dollar store. I figure it's suppose to kill germs that cause bad breath so it worth the extra 10 minutes. Skunks have a limited eye sight of about 3 feet so when a dog approches them they get starteled and do the 'front paw pat'. When a dog does this it means 'I want to play'. HOWEVER when a skunk does it it is a WARNING. Also the skunk spray is oil based so don't use extreemly hot water to wash your clothes afterwards-- it will just help the oil become like a mist and settle on everything around the area that you have your washing machine.