Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Organization >

Fabric Organization

Fabric Organization

Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 AM

Clear plastic storage boxes and open shelves...great ones at Lowe's,
Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 AM

I love hearing how everyone stores their fabric. There are some great ideas here!

I prefer my fabric folded neatly on open shelves where I can see it. This is my personal stash last month. (We just moved and the paint on my new studio floor is drying (concrete, basement) and I'll probably get it put together next week).

I group my fabric by style: modern prints, homespuns, Civil War repros, etc. and then by either fabric collection (the modern fabrics I have are mostly complete lines) or color (like the repros). Except for pieces over 3 yards, I wrap the fabric around my 6" ruler and then fold it in half so the fold shows at the edge. I have a lot of smaller cuts, so it works well for me. Anything with more yardage is folded at 12" and then in half and stored on the lower shelves.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-245622.jpe
Views:	98
Size:	696.1 KB
ID:	245628  
Old 08-23-2011, 04:48 AM

My husband put shelves in a "fair" sized closet in my sewing room so I can close the door. Fabric is folded and stacked, arranged by color. Looks great freshly organized. Alas when I am auditioning fabrics for a new project, it really gets messed up. But its fun to play in fabric!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 AM

I have my fabrics folded by color sitting on shelves. I am addicted to fat quarters so put them in one pile and then fold any yardage next to it. Love seeing my rainbow of colors.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 AM

I have metal bins my husband bought from Lowes and installed them in the closet of my sewing room. I separate my fabrics by color. And I have a separate bin for childrens fabrics. You can also stack fabrics on top of the bins so I have my solids separate and my white on white backgrounds fabrics separate.
This works great for me because you can see through the metal bin, the fabric can breath and it is away from sunlight.
I would never put fabric in drawers, you would have to rummage through to much to find a fabric, and I don't think the fabric can breath. If you put fabric on shelves make sure they are in a closet away from light. You want easy accessability and allow the fabric to breath and keep it away from sunlight.
Never store fabric in plastic bins. The fabric cannot breath and formaldahyde from the fabrics (especially unwashed fabric)
will accumulate in the plastic bins.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by SueShimomura
I love hearing how everyone stores their fabric. There are some great ideas here!

I prefer my fabric folded neatly on open shelves where I can see it. This is my personal stash last month. (We just moved and the paint on my new studio floor is drying (concrete, basement) and I'll probably get it put together next week).

I group my fabric by style: modern prints, homespuns, Civil War repros, etc. and then by either fabric collection (the modern fabrics I have are mostly complete lines) or color (like the repros). Except for pieces over 3 yards, I wrap the fabric around my 6" ruler and then fold it in half so the fold shows at the edge. I have a lot of smaller cuts, so it works well for me. Anything with more yardage is folded at 12" and then in half and stored on the lower shelves.
Beautiful!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:35 AM

I got the cubbies from Walmarts (4); nine to each unit; I stacked them 2 high so that gives me 36 cubbies. I also got some of the canvas totes that fit in them. I put projects in them w/a picture of it so that I know what is what. I have notions in some and some fabric stacked on shelves so that I can see what I have. I have large totes under my cutting table for fleece. The next thing I'm getting when I find what I want is drawers for my FQ to make them eaiser to see; especially all of my civil war ones. I have a tote for all of my "baby" fabric in it as well and one for patterns and one for pellon, fusibles, etc.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 AM

FYI; if you want more shelves. I measured the exsisting shelves and went to Lowes and had them to cut more and you can get the little dowls to fit in the wholes and you can very cheaply and easily add more shelves. I also did this to a book shelf when the shelves started sagging in the middle due to the weight of books;worked great and I salvaged the shelving unit.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 AM

I have mine similar to you. I have a LOT of fabric and could not afford the plastic boards to wrap them on so I cut a piece of cardboard and wrapped the fabric around it and slid the cardboard out. That way, everything is close to the same size, color coded and neat. I also measured each piece so I know what I have. At times, I wish I could close doors over it somrtimes to keep dust off but have no windows in that are so don't have a fade problem.

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I organized my sewing area last winter. I sorted them by col . ....Larger pieces (at least 1/2 yard) I fold and stack.... again by color. I can see the edges of the fabric and pick what I want. I also pin a sticky note on each piece that tells me how much I have of that fabric (1yd, 2 1/3 yds, etc.)

I've found that I actually use the fabric pieces instead of just go out and buy something new.... It's saved me money and helped me use up some things I've had for quite a while.

Also, check out the scrappy quilt sites mentioned on the board.... there are some beautiful quilts out there using small scraps.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:53 AM

I bought chip board at a local craft store and I paid $.99 for each sheet My DH cut them in 71/2 x11 and then cut the left overs into 4 x 8. It was the cheapest way to go. I thought I had most of mine wrapped on the boards when I found a 30 gal. tote filled with material yuck. Have fun. Oh, I stored my on open book shelves. Happy organizing.