anyone else jam making

Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 AM

Yup! Did up 27 500ml bottles of strawberry jam a few weeks ago. Since then I've done up:
Dilled carrots
Dilled beans (still up to elbows in them!)
Pickled beets

The garden is bursting with tomatoes, peppers, onions and cukes so I'll be busy for a few weeks longer - just as the 4 apple trees are ready for picking!

Its a good thing I like cooking!!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 AM

Rather than type it all out you can get the recipe from www.jamjarshop.com

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Will you share that blackberry relish recipe? Our bushes are bursting!
I've got to get out and snip grapes fast -- from the look of it, the birds have been enjoying themselves!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 AM

Last year I made enough for my husband and myself. I made strawberry/pineapple, strawberry/rhubard, strawberry/banana, banana nut bread jam, blueberry, and peach jam. Most people cook their peaches down and them make jelly out of it. My Mother-in-law showed me that she just peeled and cored the peaches and them threw them in a blender and made jam with it. It saves so much time and you actually get little chunks of peaches in it. My husband's favorite. I use the peach peelings, the seed and any buised parts of the peaches (water added) to make jelly. Adding the seed makes the jelly a beautiful color.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 AM

So far this year I have made Strawberry Jam, Raspberry jam and raspberry jelly. I have currant that needs to be made up. Can't wait for the crap apples and pears to be ripe from the Bayfield area in Wisconsin,
Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 AM

I love to make jams and jellies, but our weather has not been cooperative this year. I got one good batch of strawberries in May...no other fruit around here this year (maybe next). Enjoy your hard work through the winter.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:26 AM

I make fig, pomegrante, apricot, kumquat, plum, strawberry, orange and tomato
Old 08-24-2011, 01:45 PM

Went picking blackberries and elderberries this morning. Weighed them all into 1lb bags and put in freezer, alongside, red currants, raspberries, strawberries and windfall apples. Will start jam making first week in October. Will make a syrup flavoured with cloves from the elderberries, great for keeping colds at bay during the winter. Will also pick lots of rosehips and make syrup from them as well, another great standby for winter colds.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 PM
kbs

Our blackberries did real well this year so made some blackberry jam and put some whole in the freezer for whatever this winter.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 PM

I've made fig preserves and fig/strawberry jelly before, when we lived where we had a fig tree in back yard. Was fun, but we really don't eat that much of that kinda stuff, fun to give away, but does get expensive.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:03 PM

If you ladies get tired of making jelly and jam...try wine. It is fun to make and fun to drink. Last year we made about 60 gallons. Can't make any right now (when the grapes are really ripe) due to illness in the family taking me away at crucial times in the winemaking process but next spring when things settle down, I will be back making wine of all kinds...strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, apricot, mango, carombola and any other fruit that I can get enough of. It takes 20-30 pounds for 6 gallons...just in case you are thinking of it.