Anyone tried Melatonin ?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 AM

It worked too good for me. I had a hard time waking up. But no real side effects once it wore off.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by tutty
I'm ready to give this a go. I Never get a full nights sleep . Last night ,rather , morning I finally fell asleep 4:30 ish am !!!! Curious to know if anyone has tried melatonin and if they were able to sleep better and or any side effects I should be aware of !! Thank you, you are always sooooo helpful.
I take one every night. They don't make you sleepy, they just relax you so you can fall asleep and get some rest. Now, if I could give one to the dogs! They wake me up to go out at 3:30 every morning. They are still puppies. Maybe they will sleep later as the age? Yeah, don't bet on it.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 AM

I don't seem to have the problem of not getting to sleep or waking in the middle of the night any more. I think it is partly because I am totally retired now and don't have the stress of a paid job on me. Also I try to go to the gym everyday and when I can't I exercise at home. Good luck in finding something that helps! I will be thinking about you.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:36 AM

It might be best to have a sleep test before you self diagnose. I have improved in health and sleep since I was diagnosed with apnea. Now that I have a CPAP machine, I have never felt better.
I have read that inaccurate doses of melatonin can raise blood pressure,cause fatigue, depression and affects fertility. Naturally you should check that you don't have heart problems or hypertension before you take any hormones or drugs because you don't want complications of stroke etc.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:42 AM

I'm ready to give this a go. I Never get a full nights sleep . Last night ,rather , morning I finally fell asleep 4:30 ish am !!!! Curious to know if anyone has tried melatonin and if they were able to sleep better and or any side effects I should be aware of !! Thank you, you are always sooooo helpful.
I've tried it, but I found that one tablet wasn't enough.
Have tried gravol too, seemed to work better.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Do try taking liquid magnesium capsules an hour (or more) before bed. Melatonin is good also. :)
Old 08-25-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
I worked in an ICU for quite a while and what we used for patients was Benadryl 25MG and Extra strength tylenol with it....take one and if not asleep an hour later you can take another one. One works very well for me. I take it about an hour before I want to go to sleep.
I figured the Benadryl thing out by myself because every time I would take it for allergies it would knock me on my backside. I asked my Dr. about it and he said he could write me a RX for something but that Benadryl was just as effective and was not habit forming so that is what I use when I need it. It leaves me a little draggy in the morning but rather that than becoming addicted to something or spending big bucks. Ann in TN
Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 AM

My husband was having trouble sleeping. I asked him to spray some lavender on the pillow slip. It worked wonderfully well. He now sprays this every night, and has no trouble sleeping. You can buy the spray at Bath & Body.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 AM

I have used a product called MidNite PM. It helps to promote healthy sleep and Manages minor pain. Works quite well for me and it is not habit forming. I use it when I have been working too hard in the garden and yard. It is chewable and you can take it anytime. It has Bomelain and Melatonin in it and other herbs. Has the Good Housekeeping seal if that means anything to you. Hope you find something that works. You need your sleep.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 AM

I tried it and it knocked me out and I was groggy the next day. I didn't like the after effects.