Anyone tried Melatonin ?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 AM

I take melatonin every night and it is a tremendous help for me! My dr. approved me taking it and it doesn't interact with any of my other meds. I also have had NO side effects from it. My dr. said it is naturally occurring and not prone to have problems connected with taking it.
I tried the Ambien and it didn't work at all for me, just set the room to spinning for about 3 hrs. It was awful!
Most nites I just take the 3mg. but if I'm in a lot of pain or extra tired from overdoing it, then I take 6mg. All with my dr. approval before I started it.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 AM

If you take calcium on a regular basis, take your last dose about a half hour before bed. It helps for a relaxing sleep.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 AM

[quote=serenitybygrace]If anyone takes an antidepressant, do not take melatonin. Melatonin increases the seratonin in your brain and too much is bad.
Most people who have depression have sleep problems. Scientists are finding out that depression is quite often genetic. It can also be situational. If you have chronic pain, the pain has a tendency to eat the seratonin in your brain. An antidepressant may help that.
I have had trouble sleeping for years. I have tried quite a few things. quote]

Just want to add that according to my dr. and the pharmacist, melatonin does not conflict with antidepressants. The thing being that 3mg. is a low dose and even 6mg. is pretty low. I don't recommend taking anything higher than that without a dr. approval. Actually, I don't recommend taking anything without checking with your dr. first.
I take an antidepressant and everyone on my medical team was ok with me also taking the melatonin.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:11 AM

4:30 am duty here too as well, sometimes earlier, then go back to bed. I take 100mg Trazadone, works pretty good, fall asleep fast but, sometimes wake up like I have slept all night or have a dream and wake up quick. It is not like a sleeping pill leaving you groggy or foggy for me anyway. What is it with women having a sleeping problem, maybe being retired we have too much relaxing time :?: :?:
Old 08-25-2011, 10:33 AM

I use 10mg Melatonin every night. Have found that I need to take it by 8pm or so because this is an extended release. Good sleeping..Linda
Old 08-25-2011, 10:34 AM

I tried it years ago but didn't work for long. Dr Oz says that this is better than melatonin. Lasts longer and better sleep etc.

1/2 cup hulled raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup milk
honey to taste (optional)

He says it is actually like a time released dose of natural melatonin so you stay asleep and are well rested. Melatonin works too fast and doesn't keep you asleep like this does. No side effects and tastes good too.

Give it a try and hope it helps! Gotta love Dr Oz!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Don't work for me, after taking it thought I would never get to sleep, worked the opposite.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Hubby has been using it WITH sleep medication and it seems to help him. (it was recommended by his oncologist). He takes 4 mg.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 AM

I'm an herbalist and if you are under 30, you should not be taking Melatonin as you should look to another reason for your sleeplessness. You lose Melatonin as you age, but not that young, and it would do you no good and you'd be wasting your money.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Notice that she used raw honey and unfiltered apple cider vinegar. I suppose the reg. stuff you get in the grocery might work but maybe it's the minerals etc in the raw form that made it work?
That is exactly right. Gropcery store honey is pasturized and does no good. Look for Braggs Vinegar with the "mother" in it and get organic honey. The store honey is nothing but a sugar substitute. Most grocery stores carry both.