Anyone tried Melatonin ?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM

My two grandsons have taken it each night for several years and their parents swear that it makes a huge difference for both of them.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I used to take Ambian but I started to get addicted to it, I was taking 2 and 3 a night to go to sleep. I remember my wife coming in the bedroom asking me to run to the store for ice cream and I went and as I was coming home it hit me. Luckily I was only 2 blocks from the house but I was seeing double! :shock:

The next day she found out what happened and was so ashamed at herself for asking me to go to the store but I told her that was okay I didnt kill anyone or myself for that matter. But after I retired early all the sudden I didnt have an insomnia problem...........

Billy

My Brother-in-law had a good friend get arrested for Driving under the influence. She had taken a sleeping pill and hopped in the car to drive home. It affected her enough for a cop to stop her and check!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 PM

Yes, it works for me when traveling overseas.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:17 PM

Had problems going to sleep when thyroid not properly treated- get yours checked
Old 08-25-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by nancy59
I have used it and it works for me, but I found the fastest way to go to sleep is to talk to God. Somehow I always fall asleep in the middle of my prayers.
Yes but not anymore !! ??
Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Never ever worked for me, have tried it many times. Good luck finding something that works.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 PM

1/2 of an Ambien is my favorite bed partner!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 PM

This worked for me, be advised that if you are using meds for depression/anxiety/panic you need to check with your dr about side effects.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 PM

I don't have time to read all of the responses, but I wanted to add my two cents....(that may be all it is worth!)....I have had the problem of waking up at 1:00 in the morning every night FOREVER.

Not only would I wake up, but I would find myself fretting and worried about things that in the light of day were of no consequence.

Since I have rheumatoid arthritis I spoke to my doctor about it and he put me on Lunesta (as well as several other sleep meds) and all they did was make me crazy because while they made me sleep they did not put me into REM sleep which is the restorative stage.

At any rate, melatonin causes pain issues for folks with inflammatory diseases, so that was out. I take Valerian Root at bed time and love it because it is a de-stressor and relaxes me. I used to keep it beside my bed and when I woke up in the middle of the night I took more to put me back to sleep.

However, the real miracle happened when I cut WHEAT out of my diet and went gluten free. It is my belief that Genetically Modified Wheat messes with our bodies. My 10 year old daughter's psoriasis has cleared up and she has stopped bedwetting. We have discovered that she is also sensitive to CORN. (It too is Genetically Modified!)

You might try cutting out wheat for a week and see if your insomnia improves....
Old 08-25-2011, 05:11 PM

Someone told me to drink some cold milk with about a teaspoon of peanut butter before bedtime. It usually works for me. I also cannot eat or drink anything with caffeine after 6pm and if I snack (pretzels,chips,etc)after 6pm sometimes that will also keep me awake.