Anyone tried Melatonin ?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 PM

I use it and it works great for me. Melatonin is produced naturally by your body and as we get older, it produces less. I take 2 tablets of 3 mg each about 30 minutes before retiring to bed.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM

I use it every night . I can't sleep without it. If I lay there for hours,I realize I forgot to take my night time meds. Benedryl makes me dopey the next day. Since I started using the melatonin I am no longer that crumpy morning person.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 AM

I did use Melatonin 3mg for about 6 months. It worked great at first but doesn't work anymore. Used Ambien but started sleep walking so had to stop.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I use it and most nights I sleep really good. I also use foam earplugs. I heard Dr. Oz on the radio say take Melatonin 2 hours before you go to bed and take it every night.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:49 AM

I was having a problem getting to sleep, heard about melatonin and started taking it....my doctor found out and told me to get off it. Everyone is different....you might want to check it out with your doctor before you begin to take it. Hope you find a solution that works for you!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:55 AM

Well , talked with Dr office and nurse said benedryl every nite because of other meds not to take melatonin. so......thanks again everyone for such good info. hugs all around and sleep tight !!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 AM

I am reading a book by a sleep doctor. He says that you need to be careful about meletonin as it is not regulated by the FDA. If you are having sleep issues you might want to see your Doctor. I had to and after sleep tests etc (found out no apnea only just snoring lol :oops: ) I went on a rigid diet of no caffeine after 12 ( including chocolate); no day time naps and no exercise after 4. I had to go to bed the same time on every night even weekends and get up the same time every day. It took about 2 months, but I started sleeping better and not feeling so sleepy during the day. I now am allowed a brief nap of 30 minutes during the day before 2pm. Any later and I can't sleep. Good luck to you. PM me if you want to talk more
Old 08-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I use Melatonin. I get it chewable from Trader Joes. It tastes great. But, it does not always work. I have not slept well for the last week. Took some Ambien for a few nights but I do not want to become dependent on it. Last three nights I have just "dozed" Finally got sleep after 4:30 am as well. I am tired. Tonight may have to be an Ambien night, I can't do this too many nights in a row!!!
I take a half an Ambien most nights. I think of it like this - if my body is not doing something it should - like sleeping - I'll take the Ambien. Just like my husband takes medication for high cholestral and my friend takes insulin.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

It didn't help me, but Estroven Nighttime (over the counter, no estrogen) seems to help somewhat. Not always, but then again nothing works always. I save the prescription drugs for "special occasions" when I have to be rested.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tutty
Well , talked with Dr office and nurse said benedryl every nite because of other meds not to take melatonin. so......thanks again everyone for such good info. hugs all around and sleep tight !!
Sometimes benadryl causes hallucinations and other side effects, so if you take it and that happens, you know the culprit right away. When tried taking it at night, I was awake, but felt sedated and felt like I couldn't breathe. Not fun. I hope it works for you.