Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! How do you get the skunk smell out of the cutting mats?? >

Help! How do you get the skunk smell out of the cutting mats??

Help! How do you get the skunk smell out of the cutting mats??

Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 AM

I'm going to go a tiny bit off topic, with pets and tomatoe juice. The best way to rid a pet of skunk, is to use a tomatoe base product. Juice is too thin and runs off the pet, your better off with sauce, paste or soup, Then you can rub it in a let it set for a few minutes, then follow up with, baking sofa mix, and the smell is really gone. With pets the longer you wait to treat them the harder it is to get the smell out.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:19 AM

I think the only solution is to buy a different brand...
Old 08-28-2011, 06:19 AM

I once had a dog that delighted in chasing skunks and would come home smelling just awful. We would wash him with vaginal douches and if that did not work we would use Tomato juice...Usually the douche was successful....it just might work...good luck
Old 08-28-2011, 06:26 AM

Same problem with my large Olfa mat. I too am overly sensitive to smells, odors, etc. I never smelled it until I brought it home. Everyone that came within 10 ft of the mat could smell it. I left it outside in the garage for a good week. Still could smell it a little after bringing it in. Been about 6 months, and I can no longer smell it even with the windows closed. I thought the odor would go into the fabric when cutting, but it didn't. The odor on my mat 'just went away'. I think the smell (cigarette smoke-which was denied by seller) from fabric received on Ebay once was far worse than the mat smell. I should add mine is the self-healing mat.

Olfa.com FAQ says:

How do I reduce the strong plastic smell from my new rotary mat?
Due to production and distribution, a new OLFA rotary mat can emit an odorous smell that some people are sensitive too. To overcome this smell, we suggest that the mat be wiped down with a solution of equal parts lukewarm water and white vinegar, then let it set for five minutes. Afterwards, rinse off the mat and towel dry. Repeat as needed.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gladys
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I will try them..and let you know how it works.

Will try the hydrogen peroxide,baking soda and dish detergent together first...before I try the tomato juice..
I used this method on our cat when he was sprayed (not the tomato juice part) and it worked well enough. When the stores opened the next day I found a product called "ODOR OUT SKUNK'T" made by Enviro Fresh. It can be used on household surfaces as well as the animal and it works really well. It doesn't instantly eliminate the smell but within an hour it was gone from carpets, bedding and the bathtub. It was expensive($12.00 for the spray bottle), but worth it.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 AM

I thought I was the ony one who noticed the skunk smell( comes from living in Ma for a while) :D Mine has aired out. I suppose you can put it on a open back porch and let it air naturally. I just overlooked it and used it now smell is all gone. Possibly one of the harder blue type cutting boards with a sealed surface would be good for you.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:38 AM

I have one thAT smelled like a skunk and eventually it wore off. Hang in there
Old 08-28-2011, 06:41 AM

sorry I have a june tailor mat, they don't smell
Old 08-28-2011, 06:55 AM

I have had that happen and the company gladly replaced it. Shoot them an email or give them a call!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 AM

Try this recipe for eliminating the smell.

Tomato juice does not work to neutralize or deodorize skunk spray. Bathing an animal in tomato juice seems to work because after lengthy exposure to strong odors, the human nose quits smelling the odor (olfactory fatigue).

Bathe pets that have been sprayed in a mixture of 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide (from drug store), 1/4 cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and a teaspoon of liquid detergent. minutes of scrubbing. Repeat if necessary. The hydrogen peroxide mixture must be used immediately after mixing and will not work if it is stored for any length of time. DO NOT STORE IN A CLOSED CONTAINER - it releases oxygen gas so it could break the container. This mixture may bleach the pet's hair. (Paul Krebaum's Recipe from Chemical & Engineering News, October 18, 1993, p. 90).

Wash colorfast inanimate objects ( buildings, decks, etc.) that have been sprayed with one cup of liquid laundry bleach per gallon of water. CAUTION - THIS MAY BLEACH THE BUILDINGS, DECKS, ETC. Try it on a small area if bleaching may be a problem.