Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Firemen collecting money on the street >

Firemen collecting money on the street

Firemen collecting money on the street

Old 08-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

They do it a lot in our area! All kinds of groups!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 AM

I think it's great. These men and women do this on their day off to help different organizations around their community. My daughter who lives in the Bay area in Calif has been on the dep't for 21 years and is now a captain for the last 7 years. When they have the boot collections the money that is raised is used to by bikes for children at Christmas time. They also donate their time to assemble the bikes. We are talking well over a hundred of them. They all have families of their own and do this out of love for their job and to be able to see the JOY on the childrens faces when they receive their bikes.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:53 AM

Ours do that every year. Sure does help the MDA
Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charhend
I think it's great. These men and women do this on their day off to help different organizations around their community. My daughter who lives in the Bay area in Calif has been on the dep't for 21 years and is now a captain for the last 7 years. When they have the boot collections the money that is raised is used to by bikes for children at Christmas time. They also donate their time to assemble the bikes. We are talking well over a hundred of them. They all have families of their own and do this out of love for their job and to be able to see the JOY on the childrens faces when they receive their bikes.
This is very nice...
Old 08-28-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I can't decide how I feel about this. I had to go to a town close to me yesterday. The firemen had yellow cones on the yellow lines at one of the intersections in town. They had firemen standing on those yellow lines going in all four directions. There were about 15 firemen. They were standing there with rubber boots stopping cars, collecting the change in those boots that you would give them.. They called it Boots for Muscular Dystrophy(I think), or something like that. I didn't have any change in my car and I don't carry a purse. It is kind of embarrassing when you just have to keep driving. What do you think of them collecting money in this way?

OMGOSH
when I lived in Southern California
Always went to my mom's in Vegas
so we could just drive all over putting money
in these boots. I got a great kick out of it.
Great cause and a great way to do it.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:26 AM
QM
Power Poster

The cause is excellent. I am with you. I don't like the idea of anyone but police on official duty in the roadway. Drivers are just too unpredictable.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:50 AM

This is not something new. They use to do this all the time in So. California. And would collect a lot of money for charity.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 AM

It's called Fill The Boot and firemen all over the country do it every year to raise money for charity! It's a good thing!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:24 PM

They do so much for a community. If you can't trust a fireman who CAN you trust??? Give to them when they collect for The Boot...
Old 08-28-2011, 12:42 PM

I doubt if there are very many people in a community that give as much free time and effort to community affairs as our firemen do. These men and women are always donating their off duty time and effort to help those in need and it doesn't matter who they are. They help educate our children on fire safety; they work to save us in natural disasters. They're the ones who are called upon when there are lethal chemical spills. If a child falls into an empty well or a mentally ill person climbs to the top of a tower, the firemen go and rescue them. They quietly mow lawns, repair windows and do other acts of charity for widows and handicapped, However they determine they want to raise funds for whatever charity I think the community should support them.