Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Firemen collecting money on the street >

Firemen collecting money on the street

Firemen collecting money on the street

Old 08-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

I can't decide how I feel about this. I had to go to a town close to me yesterday. The firemen had yellow cones on the yellow lines at one of the intersections in town. They had firemen standing on those yellow lines going in all four directions. There were about 15 firemen. They were standing there with rubber boots stopping cars, collecting the change in those boots that you would give them.. They called it Boots for Muscular Dystrophy(I think), or something like that. I didn't have any change in my car and I don't carry a purse. It is kind of embarrassing when you just have to keep driving. What do you think of them collecting money in this way?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:25 PM

I think it is great - and you are not obligated to put any change in their boot. It all does go to MD for which we are seeking a cure.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:27 PM

I don't like it, but I'm used to it. Our firemen do it, our Lions Club does it, the VFW does it, etc. You have to learn to avoid the stop lights here in town during the fall collection season.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:27 PM

They've been doing that for years around here. Sometimes I give, sometimes I don't - depends on whether I have already made a donation or how much cash I have on me.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:31 PM

I think it is a great fundraiser for the MDA. My husband, kids, sisters and their kids did several fundraising carnivals for MDA. It is a worthy cause and I say more power to them!
Old 08-27-2011, 03:33 PM

I love it. Gives you a chance to see our fireman.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:37 PM

It is called Fill the Boot here. I don't have a problem if it is a orgnization that I know really helps people. Lions Club, Shriners, Fire Department, Special Olympics. I work with a lady who has a daughter in Special Olympics and the Shriners helped my sister about 50 years ago when our parents had NOTHING. My sister is healthy because of them.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:37 PM

There are so many worthy charities but I for one don't appreciate them collecting like that. Don't care for people standing outside stores confronting you for donations either. I have my favorite charities I give to. Wish I had enough money to give to them all but I don't, so I don't like to be put on the spot. I usually don't carry much money with me, but just the same, I am not for this kind of collecting.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

they have done it for years and years and it doesn't bother me at all. it's a shame most people don't even think of our firemen until you need them. cuts happen in every department and they must make ends meet somehow.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I didn't question as to whether it was a good charity or not. I wondered whether they should be standing in the middle of the street or not. I am sure we have all seen people drive in crazy ways. Then right after this I turned onto another street, and there was a huge accident with an ambulance, three police cars, and a fire truck. I couldn't help thinking, "What if it had been the intersection with the firemen standing everywhere?"