Empty Nest Update

Old 07-23-2011, 07:25 AM

Hi all,
Some of you may remember me posting last summer about my son going away to college and my feelings about it. Well, the joke was on me (and seems to continue to be on me).

He went to school 45 minutes away and as some of you suggested, was home every single weekend. Which wasn't a completely bad thing, as my dental hygienist said, at least he wasn't partying at school on the weekends. As you can imagine, empty nest was not an issue. Part One of the joke. Also the imagined bliss of spending more time alone with hubby did not happen - due to the every weekend thing.

Part Two of the Joke: Now, he is transferring to St. Mary's College in Halifax, Canada for the coming school year. Completely of his doing and his desire and while I applaud him for this, it is a long way away. At least 12 hours by car and no real easy way to get there more quickly.

I am happy for him. He needs to become more independent and he'll have to, so far from home. I am also a bit anxious but that seems like a normal reaction.

Later on, I'll need some advice on sending packages to Canada. I won't be able to go when he moves in, DH will be handling that. It feels a little wierd not seeing where he'll be in person but someday I hope to get there.
Thanks for listening (again),
lots2do
Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 AM

Good luck to all of you.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:28 AM

Ah, the apron strings at work. Somehow they really are connected to the heart too. Wish you well and your son success!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 AM

That is a cute story... thanks for sharing.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 AM

I know how u feel! Dd talking about moving further away!! Not my baby! Hard enuf she lives 2 1/2 hrs away now!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:33 AM

Thank you for the update.............I think the leaving the nest thing is much harder on the mother!!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 AM

My baby went away to college last year with the understanding that he would not be coming home every weekend. (he was 2 hours away) We want him to have the full college experience, dorm life, parties included. I feel we've done a good job raising him, he's pretty level headed and it was time to cut those strings. I know it's hard giving up control but isn't that why we work so hard to raise them correctly? Trust him and trust yourself.....you'll be so proud of him!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:15 PM

I think it is easier somehow if you get a chance to walk the area and see where he will be living and studying. Hugs to you, breathe deep and Skype now and then on his terms. My DD graduated from college 5 years ago, 3 months later she flew the nest with what she could get in her car and drove 1,000 miles away. The good thing?? I'm going out for the first time next month!

piney
Old 07-23-2011, 01:58 PM

Be sure to get the Skype thing set up on your computer! It is a wonderful thing!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Hi all,
Some of you may remember me posting last summer about my son going away to college and my feelings about it. Well, the joke was on me (and seems to continue to be on me).

He went to school 45 minutes away and as some of you suggested, was home every single weekend. Which wasn't a completely bad thing, as my dental hygienist said, at least he wasn't partying at school on the weekends. As you can imagine, empty nest was not an issue. Part One of the joke. Also the imagined bliss of spending more time alone with hubby did not happen - due to the every weekend thing.

Part Two of the Joke: Now, he is transferring to St. Mary's College in Halifax, Canada for the coming school year. Completely of his doing and his desire and while I applaud him for this, it is a long way away. At least 12 hours by car and no real easy way to get there more quickly.

I am happy for him. He needs to become more independent and he'll have to, so far from home. I am also a bit anxious but that seems like a normal reaction.

Later on, I'll need some advice on sending packages to Canada. I won't be able to go when he moves in, DH will be handling that. It feels a little wierd not seeing where he'll be in person but someday I hope to get there.
Thanks for listening (again),
lots2do
The best advice you'll ever get is don't ever send a package by courier......UPS...etc....DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!! You will get charged with excessive brokerage fees at the border!!!!!! NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!! Heard stories of people gettting huge fees, way more than the item was worth! USPS or Canada Post the other way!!!!!
Ruth