Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Firemen collecting money on the street >

Firemen collecting money on the street

Firemen collecting money on the street

Old 08-27-2011, 05:09 PM

This came up recently in my town. The city's administration decided it was too risky and dangerous for the firemen to be in the streets and banned them from stepping off the sidewalk. The firemen were a little upset about this, they explained that they were only in the street while the lights were red, that they only do it once a year, and it raises lots of money for MDA. The whole thing blew up - people on both sides were upset and the airwaves were thick with debate.

The best thing that came out of all the publicity was that they more than tripled their donations from last year! Makes me wonder if it was done on purpose.... :)
Old 08-27-2011, 05:12 PM

They do that in the next town, but collecting for the fire dept.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:30 PM

I don't like it because they stand right in the roadway where we have to stop our cars and come right up to the window with those boots out. I don't like feeling pressured into giving. In order to make it legal for them to be in the road this county now has a problem with panhandlers begging for money on many roads at traffic lights. Some have been known to get violent and have killed in order to keep others away from 'their' corner.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:39 PM

I only donate to the firemen or the shriners for their charities.......always keep a couple of ones in my "change box" in the car for these folks.....too, it only happens a couple of times a year...
Old 08-27-2011, 05:39 PM

They do it here in some of the suburbs, too...I usually keep a bit of change in my cup holder or a couple of single in the visor just for these kind of things...
Old 08-27-2011, 05:40 PM

I see no problem with it. I too have my favorite organizations that I give to but I always have a quarter or fifty cents to give to some other charity. I waste that much on something trivial! I don't like to be mobbed either but there is nothing wrong with trying to raise funds for your organization or a national organization. There is no obligation to give on your part. If you don't want to, don't.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 PM

I think its a great fundraiser. The firemen in are area are very polite and only walk up to your car if you stick your hand out showing you have a donation for them. They wish everyone safe travels! What I like is all the $ goes to the cause!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:47 PM

I have seen it before, and I have always wondered if it was really safe to do that.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:50 PM

We went to Wal mart today and they had 2 firemen at each door doing the same thing. We dont carry any cash but we happen to have a bunch of change in the car that we gave them. Its a great cause
Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 PM

Totally in favor. No overhead expense that I know of; all monies go to the cause that it is being collected for. I had much rather donations were solicated like this than in snail mail. If someone didn't ask me for money I would never think to just mail a check off to various organizations, and I wouldn't have their addresses either. This way I don't have to mail anything, I just give either cash or a check.