Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 02-05-2007, 07:16 AM

Loops on the back of free motion quilting do have to do with coordinating your speed moving the quilt with the speed of the machine. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes not. My Bernina withBSR has virtually eliminated the loops except I still see just a touch of the top thread on the bottom (noticeable if different colors are used). Haven't really had the big loop problem with the BSR.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 AM

I'm convinced that it is my speed--when I receive inconsistent results in my free-motion quilting. Yesterday, I was practicing on my new frame so was working on a 2-yard size quilt sandwich. There was no purpose to this, except to practice on my new set-up and make sure I am comfortable with it before loading a real quilt top. I could easily see that when I stitched too fast, my tension wasn't perfect. If I stitched too slow, my tension wasn't good. When I stitched just right, my tenson was perfect. I was amazed. I have a quilter's cruise control and it hasn't entirely eliminated my problem because, when I get going, I can sew too fast for the cruise control to keep up. I suggest that you listen to your machine while you are quilting--mine seems to make a good 'humming' sound when its at a good speed--kind of like its in the zone with me.

With a new project, I ALWAYS do a test sample to make sure the needle, thread, and quilt sandwich are working well together. With those issues addressed BEFORE I start quilting, I know that its my technique that's the problem.

Each session, before quilting on my quilt top, I do a practice piece--a fat quarter sandwich practice piece before beginning maching quilting. This gets my mind and fingers all working together. I'm not getting the kinks out on my quilt top. I learned this habit when I was hand-quilting a queen size quilt. When I first started each session, I was always unhappy with the result; like I need to get warmed up first.

Wondering what to do with all of those quilted test samples? I use mine for making small, zipper bags like those in Mary Mulari's "Made for Travel" book. I give them to all my friends and they love them. SLOW DOWN and enjoy the smooth, meditative process of free-motion quilting.

I hope you find this helpful. Happy quilting!
Darla
Old 02-05-2007, 03:24 PM

This site may be helpful. I learned a few things from it that I will try. Good luck!!! http://mccallsquilting.com/lessons/804_machinequilting/

Susan
Old 02-05-2007, 04:00 PM

Thank you all so much for all your feedback on my problem of loops on free motion quilting. Thank each and every one of you for a response. I am going to try it again tomorrow...see if I can do better. Thanks again!
Old 02-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Every machine I've ever had came with a darning foot recommended for freemotion quilting and embroidery. Yeegads!!! Am I awful at both!!! If you said my freemotion quilting was horrible, you'd be praising it too much. So, this particular 2-cents may only be worth a plug nickel. But I discovered something by accident yesterday that has given me my first ray of hope.

I bought a new machine over the weekend. It came with one of the fancy-shmancy darning/quilting/embroidery feet. The kind with a spring and a circle that rests lightly on the surface of the quilt while you're working. Much nicer than any of the others I have.

Being as easily distracted by shiny objects as I am, I put everything else aside to play with it. The difference is amazing!!! I wouldn't say I'm putting a "professional machine quilter" sign on my mailbox ... but ... for the first time ever I didn't hate my little sample. As soon as I finish my most pressing "gotta finishit" project, I am going to practice, practice, practice. It finally feels like it'll be worth the effort.
:-)
Old 02-05-2007, 04:23 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. If I can't get the idea of free motion quiliting, I make try and see if an embrodery hoop would work, what do you think? Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:28 AM

Has anyone tried one of the new frames for free motion quilting, like the one John Flynn sells? I will be stating on a king size qult this summer and my hands wouldn't hold up to hand quilting nor would my regular frame hold it. His ad says that it will work with a regular sewing machine. I was curious to see if anyone else has vr used one before I spend the money. I can't afford one of those new quilting machines that costs thousand so I was thinking about trying this.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:51 PM

I haven't used a frame, only seen them at quilt shows. I think it would work fine, and the beauty is that you can use your own machine. However, it wouldn't be foolproof-- you still have to learn to manipulate the quilt to get the effect you want. I tried an embroidery frame once at the suggestion of a friend, but it didn't suit me. The area that you can work at one time is very limited, so you're constantly having to re-position the hoop.
For your king sized quilt, I strongly suggest you look at one of the methods for doing it in sections. That really has helped me to do the large ones without just wearing out. and I find that the section is of a size that I can quilt the design I want rather than just what I can do with the huge bulk (if you understand what I'm trying tosay). Get a book, go to the library, before you do the quilt to see if it will work for you.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:58 PM

I don't know if you could see my intro but in essence, free-motion really is about your speed & rhythm. Once you get that goin', you're in! I find that free motion is easier on a big quilt than on a little sandwich pad. You don't have to struggle with the whole quilt at once. I decided to do it on a quilt I made for myself & it was great fun!!! I couldn't wait to do some more! When you work on a quilt, you have certain areas to do stitches in, so you have to plan a bit more but that's part of the learning experience too!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the tips. I still have to get the fabric and the courage to start cutting. I don't usally do pieced quilts let alone paper pieced ones so it will take lots of courage and pep talks for me to do this one. Normally I do applique because it is more forgiving and I need all the help I can get!