Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :) >

my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :)

my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :)

Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 AM

I was 14 when I found the first gray hair. My grandfather was completely white headed at 20. I started covering the gray in my 20's. I always said I would stop when I had grandkids. That happened at 42 and I was not ready to stop. I'm now 55 and no longer work so I stopped covering it. I knew I would not be able to stand it so I started adding highlights last year instead of dye. Then slowly cuting out the dyed hair. I'm down to one or two more cuts. By the way, the only one who wants me to dye it again is my grandson who is 13 lol.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 AM

I've been 'turning' gray since I was 30 yrs old. Used to get highlights that hid it well, looked pretty in fact. But it became too expensive to keep up & I let it go natural. I've been told it's very pretty but I've been searching for a job & wonder if my gray is working against me. Some of the Office Managers I hand my resume to are my age & obviously dye their hair. They just smile & thank me. ?????
Old 08-29-2011, 05:22 AM

I keep my hair short soI say whatever makes you happy go for it after all its your hair,Your the one that takes care of it.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:28 AM

I'm 37 and up to now only had about three grey hairs. Recently I noticed some more and I have to say... I quite like them. I especially like the fact, that they are a bit stronger than my light brown hair. So they stay the way they are.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 AM

I too have silver white hair and have had for more than 20 years. I decided to dye one day. When my DH saw me he said
"I like your grey hair. It is beautiful" Please don't dye it again. I decide then and there that if he likes it, it isn't worth the trouble and time to keep the dyeing up so that it looks nice. And I do get many compliments on my silver white hair, so I am comfortable with it.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:54 AM

I, too, turned gray at an early age. It turned gray fast, thanks to my father's side of the family. I didn't dye my hair. I have NO natural wave or curl in my hair so always have to get perms so can't afford to have it dyed also. My close friend has dyed her hair for years. Her hair may look nice but her wrinkles tell her age. I guess it's everyone ones own decision.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:10 AM

I am 63 and have gone total white. As the oldest of 4 kids, they say I'm the oldest so I have to do it(whatever it is). I have been called both my sisters, "Mother" several times. Peg is 3 years younger and Patti is 11 years younger, both still color their hair.....My baby brother, 14 years younger, has been salt and pepper for years.
On the bright side, we get Senior Discounts, doors opened for us, people let us sit on the buses, people remember the "Old Lady". My Mom had white hair early on and she had beautiful white. Mine isn't as nice as Mom, but I like it. Don't care what others think anyway. Life's too short!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Swap Hosts

Love your GD's comment!
I'm 59 and over the last year I've started getting strands of grey in my auburn hair. Used to dye it all the time, but now I'm just tired of the mess. I do have one more kit on hand, but I'm thinking I'll just give it away and be done with it. Haven't decided.
I don't work outside the home any longer and the activities I am engaged in are "arty" and my hair is quite long so I can wear it in braids if I want to, so what's the point? My husband is ambivalent.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by gaevren
I've actually thought about what I'll do or not do when my hair starts to turn, and I decided that when I started noticing the gray I would dye my hair- completely silver!

I think that sleek gray/silver hair looks quite elegant especially if it's styled nicely.
I use to think that too, until I got the wrinkles that go with it, :roll:
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 AM

If what color your hair is the greatest problem any of you face or have faced, you are indeed fortunate. People on chemo can lose every hair on their body; some women go bald. I have a young friend who started losing her hair when she was in fifth grade.

Having said that, I do appreciate the humor in the first post. froggyintexas