Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paypal~~Please read >

Paypal~~Please read

Paypal~~Please read

Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 AM

I am soooo happy to receive your message. I must admit I am too quickly trusting of e-mail messages and would have been caught. Thank you.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
you can also forward the e-mail to PayPal at the following address:

[email protected]

This is the PayPal site for "How do I report PayPal fraud or a PayPal Scam?"

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Help/general/TopQuestion4-outside]https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...stion4-outside[/url]
[email protected] is on my contacts list - if I ever get one of these, I forward the message to the SPOOF address to let PayPal know what's going on so they can improve their phishing security measures. They ALWAYS write back to thank me about the scam heads-up. Doing this helps THEM help US.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02
I know many of us use paypal, and I have never had an issue with them at all. But I did this morning receive an email from them. Instead of clicking on the link that was provided I called them instead. This email is one of those that is trying to get your information. I do not understand completely how its done, but I do know enough not to click on links. I just wanted to warn everyone here, because I know some might click on it, and the scammers would get your info. Here is a copy of the email that I received:

Dear PayPal Member

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

Our system detected unusual charges to a credit card linked to your PayPal account.

Reference Number: PPxxxxxxxxx

This is the Last reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

Click here to activate your account

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologise for any inconvenience
So if you get anything like this, call paypal, do not click on the link provided. Paypal will as you to send them a copy of the email so they can research and try to figure out who is sending these.

Its wise to keep a list of all the real email addresses of your financial and other important contacts. Compare addresses whenever you get fishy looking email - there's often something about the text that looks unprofessional or as if its a con job. When it is a 'spoof', 'spam' or 'phishing' fraud send it to the spoof dept of your real contact. They do actually investigate and deal with these robbers so it helps everyone to be a whistle blower/snitch. These fakes fool thousands of people every day and earn multi-millions stealing from unsuspecting, unprepared people like us.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 AM

You do not necessarily have to call them and yes one should NEVER click a link from your email, however you can go to your paypal account via your web browser and log in that way.

If it isn't from paypal you will be able to log into your account and if it is, and I seriously doubt it would be, simply because paypal DOES NOT SEND OUT SUCH EMAILS.

If there were a problem with your paypal account you'd know the next time you tried to get into it via the internet and using your web browser to do so.

Key is to real PayPal rules and know what they will do or won't do regarding making contact with us by email and this type email is one thing they would not do. They would not ask you to click on a link in the email but rather ask you to go to there site and log in from there.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 AM

Got one from paypay one time.. knew it was a scam but sent it to paypal.. if you didn't look close you would have thought it came from paypal. People will try anything.
Pam
Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
I had one a few weeks ago similar to that but for AOL. It said to do the same thing or my AOL account would be deleted in 24 hrs of my reading the e-mail. I deleted the e-mail and did NOT lose my AOL account.
I send these to "report spam"
Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 AM

i got several of those and also send them right on to the spoof addy
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I've been using PayPal for years. PayPal never sends an email asking for any info. It states that when you sign up. The only time I acknowledge an email from Paypal is order confirmation. Any others that say PayPal I delete. If I think there is a problem I log on to my account and not follow any links in the email. One of many things I like about using Google Chrome browser it will stop any redirected websites from opening. NEVER follow a link in email asking for personal or account info. That's the first thing I was told in a computer class years ago.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 AM

I got the same email about 4-5 weeks ago. Never, never do I open anything like that. I sent it to PayPal under their "spam" title.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 AM

I got that last week, too. Never, never click on a link in the message of something like that. Call the business yourself to ask the question. They'll probably tell you they will never advise you by e-mail of something like that.