Oh No Shingles

Old 09-02-2011, 02:52 PM

I found that Aleeve really helped me. My doctor had me take a double dose for a few days, but I did have a mild case. I hope he has a mild case too.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM

I haven't heard of anything that helps, but would check with a Dr right away.

Originally Posted by tutty
Hi out there ! Anyone have any suggestions for my neighbor's husband who just found out it is shingles he has. They have been through so much of late and I'm praying some one know of something to ease his pain. thank you ahead. You all are great !
Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM

I had them a couple of yrs ago across my L side of head, forehead, eye. I still have the scars on my forehead and my eye still acts up when I get stressed. They gave me an antibiotic and some eye creme and since I was already taking Neurontin (for reflux sympathy dystrophy) that helps. My Dr said when I asked him about the shot you can't get it when you actually have the virus. He said we'll talk about it later and he also told me that insurance doesn't pay for it and it was then about $200. I haven't got the shot yet I don't think he wants me to he doesn't have confidence in it since I've already had the Shingles. Shingles can pester you for yrs and some people not long. They do worry about it when it is on the eye which is most uncomfortable to have a little pox on your eyelid and I lost a few eyelashes that don't come back. I worked in a Dr's offices and they tried a lot of things but not much luck usually. Sue

Hope he's caught it early. DH had singles two years ago mid-May. He didn't say anything to me until he was already scabbing. He ended up on such heavy-duty pain drugs that he lost 6 weeks of time that summer. When he got well enough to realize the drugs were making his thinking fuzzy he quit taking them. Went to Tylenol and gritting his teeth. Hates being 'drugged'.
It was late September before he felt better.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:16 PM

Valtrex and zorivax creme help.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:21 PM

Ouch! Nothing hurts like shingles can hurt! I got it last March and still have nerve pain. I had them from the midsection under my boobs to the middle section of my back. I have scaring from the blisters. I was on prescription pain killers [Percocet and Amitripline] and Gabapentin. Also had cortisone shot. It is so miserable that you wouldn't even wish them on your worst enemy. I was told that the older a person is, the worse they can be. Get the vaccine even though it is expensive because this can be expensive to treat and the pain is horrible. Wearing something tight around the area effected has helped lessen the pain....my quilting also helps me get my mind off the pain.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM

I HAVE THE SHINGLES MYSELF. THIS MUST BE THAT TIME OF YEAR THAT THEY COME OUT. FOR THE ITCHING I FOUND THAT CHIGGERX WORKS GREAT. YOU CAN FIND IT AT ANY WALMART. MY DOCTOR GAVE ME THREE PRESCRIPTION FOR THE PAIN AND TO STOP THE VIRUS. I ALSO LIVE IN FLORIDA.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:29 PM
tmg

So sorry to hear about that. I had the shingles when I was pregnant with my 2nd. child. I was only 23. They were on the left side of my neck. Every time I tried to turn my neck it HURT. Try not turning your neck at all for weeks. Not fun. I had to suffer in pain could not take anything. It made me sick sick sick. As soon as anything hit my stomach it came right back up.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:40 PM

This is interesting my Mother in law Dr gave her a script for the shot,she is 81.She hasn't wanted to get the shot.I had no idea it was this much money. You put new light on this for me.For my self I don't even know if I had the chicken pox.I will have the Dr mention this with her again at the next dr appointment.Thanks for the Heads -up