Oh No Shingles

Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 AM

We have a church friend who had a really bad case a couple of years ago. His experience sent a lot of us scrambling to get the shot.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 AM

I just had shingles in July and August. Valtrex on day of breakout. The pain came about 5 days before the rash. It went from my neck to shoulder and all the way to me finger tips. The gave my the Valtrex, prednisone, percoset, and pain patches. It stillhurt so much that I had to use my other hand to do anything. I'm sorry for him or anyone who gets this terrible illness.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 AM

A person with shingles cannot pass them on to one who has had chickenpox, however, if you never had them, or your immune system is down you can get them.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:33 AM

[quote=tutty]Hi out there ! Anyone have any suggestions for my neighbor's husband who just found out it is shingles he has.

Applying the burn ointment Silvadene helps relieve the pain. It is an RX product ao ask his MD.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:19 PM

I had the vaccine November 2010. Medicare would not pay anything and neither would my insurance. It was 230.00 at my primary Dr's and glad I got it as I have seen people suffer for years with it. Some people think three shots of B12 a week for a month help. Most Dr. don't believe in it but will do it anyway and I have known patients to get relief almost immediately
Old 09-03-2011, 12:54 PM

If you are on Medicare the insurance should pay for it. I got the vaccine when I lived in Tennessee. Had a senior medicare advantage plan and only cost me the office co-pay. Anyone who hasn't had the vaccine ought to be sure to get it as soon as possible.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:58 PM

he needs to get on an antil viral right away and they gave me neurontin that helped with the pain. The anti viral lessons the length and severity of the disease.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo
So check with your dr, before getting the shingles vaccine. It may interact with a medication you are on.
My 81 year mom had the vaccine and still got the shingles. Seems if you're on steroids, it becomes ineffective. She was on some type of breathing treatment, albuteral?, which is a steroid.

It can be a terrible painful thing, with nerve pain lasting years.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by tutty
Hi out there ! Anyone have any suggestions for my neighbor's husband who just found out it is shingles he has. They have been through so much of late and I'm praying some one know of something to ease his pain. thank you ahead. You all are great !
His physician should prescribe one of the very effective medications for shingles. froggyintexas
Old 09-03-2011, 01:11 PM

So sorry your DH has shingles. They are no fun. Please, please, please, anyone who is over 50 and has not had the vaccine, go get it or get in line to get it. The residual pain sometimes never goes away and it is horrific! My sister died with the pain unresolved and a friend has suffered 5 years with it. If you have the shingles, most doctors will not give you the vaccine.