anyone else jam making

Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 AM

Just finished pepper jelly we love it. Would love to know what blackberry/apple taste like it sounds delish. I might try some fig preservers.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 AM

I just finished making Peach Jam! The pantry is also stocked with rhubarb, strawberry, and blueberry jams. This year I tried all NO ADDED PECTIN recipes...for some reason, I have NEVER been successful with recipes requiring Certa, or a similar product. I am very pleased with this year's finishes. The NAP process is very much like candy making...first you dissolve the sugar and, some recipes call for lemon juice, in water...cook this to a specified temperature, and then add the fruit. It seems to me that I have gotten a larger yield for less sugar!
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia
Old 08-28-2011, 09:57 AM

I just got back from huckleberry camp and oh the crop this year is amazing. If I had wanted to work harder I could have gotten as many berrys as I had wanted. The salmon berrys were ripe to, but they don't travel well so we just had to eat those that we picked while we were there. I should be able to get as many batches of jam as I want to make and still have enough berrys for anything else I want to make. So nice after last year when the crop was not very good.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 PM

where did you find the huckleberries?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:17 PM

I need to get a good flat bottomed canner for my glass stovetop. (Canning is allowed on it, a GE Profile) Does anyone have a particularly good one they've been using?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:26 AM

I'm in the process of making elderberry jam today, Made some strawberry freezer jam. Next is applebutter.Made dill pickles and bread and butter and beet pickles. watermelon preserves and canned tomatoes. Have to wait for the tomatoes to ripen to do moreand salsa.I love to can.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Are you making a joke? Cant you make some for yourself if he doesnt want theM?
Originally Posted by marknfran
Originally Posted by valsma
Not yet but when I get done picking huckleberrys I will be making some more jam.
Oh, we love huckleberries!! Looks like they are selling for $40 a gallon now around Spokane. Hubby will NOT let me make the jam because he likes to just eat them with a little sugar on them. No cookies, no muffins, no pancakes.....at least he lets me buy them! :lol:
Old 09-03-2011, 08:45 PM

Me too
Old 09-03-2011, 11:09 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

a few weeks ago we made chutney and relish and yesterday made some strawberry jam. We still have to make more strawberry jam so it lasts until next year. i would love to make some peach or apricot jam but the price of fruit is too much.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Here's one I haven't seen -- I make nectarine jam every year. Usually I blanch and peel them and follow the directions for peach jam, but this year I left the skins on and followed the directions for plum jam (commercial pectin directions say skins are OK). It's a little more colorful than previous years with the bits of skin, and the aroma of summer is to die for.