Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What can one do to prevent fleas? >

What can one do to prevent fleas?

What can one do to prevent fleas?

Old 09-04-2011, 05:09 AM

Is comfortis good for all aged dogs?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 AM

Many years ago we got fleas in our house much the same way. I bought a flea bomb and followed the directions and bombed the house! That did it. But we also quickly had the garden treated since the darn things live in grass too and we didn't want to risk infestation there too.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:23 AM

To get rid of fleas one has to not only treat the animal but the surroundings as well. A flea can live for months without having to feed/bite so they can live in fibers easily, starting the process over when they choose to bite. We use aerosol bombs that we get at Wal-Mart, Ace Hdwe, etc., close up the house and set them off, leave for several hours, return and air out for several more hours - long tedious process and using chemicals that we don't like to use. Washing/cleaning won't get rid of them, at least we've never had success with that. The inexpensive bombs do work. Then the pet has to be treated, hopefully by a responsible vet who won't use harmful ingested chemicals. We used K-9 Advantix once and will never, ever subject any animal to that again. Ours started having neurological problems, then her fur changed and she got mange-y spots, chewed her tail. It took over 6 months to get over one treatment. My brothers dog nearly died from Frontline.

If you check the ingredients and you find one of them is Imidicloprid - it is a chemical that is put on trees to kill the Emerald Ash Borer that is killing millions of ash trees in the midwest!!! We called Bayer and they told us they hadn't had any complaints about K-9 but the message boards say otherwise. Good luck!!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 AM

I am going to put in my two cents worth as a groomer for over 30 years. 1st of all you should have your pets treated monthly with Advantage, frontline or Comfortis to control the fleas. If your dog or cat goes outside it can get fleas. ( wildlife and stray cats are carriers). If you take your pet to the groomer or vets I would suggest carrying your pet into the groomers and back out again. tell them you dont want your pet touching the floor. If you have a large pet than you definately want them kept on flea control. walking in and out of these establishments your pet will pick up fleas as joe shmo who does not care for there pets walk there pets around spreading fleas.
Gone are the days of your groomer playing pest control. With all the wonderful safer products out there to kill the fleas on your pet with out having to even bite your pet there is no excuse for your pets to have fleas. Dips are dangerous to your pets and even more dangerous to your groomers if they dip all day. I think you will find most groomers no longer dip. Us old groomers are paying the price for all the dipping in the old days.
If your pet scratches immediatly coming home from the groomer, please let your groomer know. suggest that they use a non soap based shampoo, ( especially if you use Advantage or Frontline) also forgoe the cologne. these often cause scratching especially in shorter clipped pets.
Check your dog immediately for fleas if you suspect your pet is getting fleas from your groomng salon. more than likely your pet is getting them from where he was walked. Most grooming salons (there are always exceptions) are very contiencious about flea control. They do not like fleas either and some salons will actually charge you extra for having to clean up fleas after your pet. If your pet came home with fleas they will scratch immediatly not a couple days later. I hope this puts a new light on this subject and helps you with flea control on your pets. JoAnn
Old 09-04-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Grannymom
If your critters go outside at all - even if just to take care of business and right back it - they will pick up fleas from the yard if you don't treat your yard.... And if you have 'visiting critters' you will have fleas and lice and who knows what all... the vet told us that if you have squirrels, etc you WILL have fleas.....
The crazy weather we've been having all over may be perfect for fleas outside to increase & multiply.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Originally Posted by Grannymom
If your critters go outside at all - even if just to take care of business and right back it - they will pick up fleas from the yard if you don't treat your yard.... And if you have 'visiting critters' you will have fleas and lice and who knows what all... the vet told us that if you have squirrels, etc you WILL have fleas.....
The crazy weather we've been having all over may be perfect for fleas outside to increase & multiply.
My vet said that this year is so bad that they've been recommending the lyme disase vacine. We've never had a problem here and only have found a few this year but that's more than i want to find. Fleas and ticks are out of hand now.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Comfortis is an internal med. I live in the "fleas never hibernate state of Florida". I give our beagle/rat terrier mixes one pill for their weight every 6 wks and we never have fleas.
I live in Indiana and have 3 inside dog and one 110 # dog that is outside most of the time. I give them Comfortis and am not bothered with fleas at all. I even let my outside dog in the house when it is real hot or cold. It is certainly worth the cost.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:53 AM

If you put mothballs in the vacuum and vacuum every day the fleas and larvae you get with the vacuum will die because of the mothballs in the vac. Some dish liquid in water in a saucer under a night light will also attract the fleeas and the die in the water.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:53 AM

My cousin is a vet & if you treat the dog then do the carpets too, he suggested moth ball crystals, sprinkle on carpets leave 15 mins then vaccum & fleas will die & no eggs I tried this & it worked even here in Florida.Smell was gone in 1/2 an hour too.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Lord? Why did you make Fleas? Can't wait for some answers here.
I'm asking Him the same dang thing!! My 3 purr babies are strictly indoor kitties, but every time I go outside I take the chance on bringing in fleas that raccoons, possums or skunks have left behind during their nightly snacking at my Koi pond. I hate to, but its time to call County Animal Reg to come trap 'em!! GRRRRRR!

I use Advantage on the kitties, but the fleas are still in my carpets and chomping on ME! I called Farm Supply yesterday, was told to get Adams Plus Flea Treatment for the carpets. Remove pets and kids from room till the spray dries, 1/2 to 1 hour or so.

It's often tricky to catch a flea on you without it escaping, so I discovered it is so much easier to press a piece of Scotch tape or other sticky product smack down on it and then peel it up. Fold the tape over the bloodsucker and drop inna trash. I suppose I may get booted from this board for animal cruelty but it does my evil heart good to know that the flea will live for several months after feeding...stuck to my tape in the landfill! OH YEAH!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Farm Supply suggested I also get some Bears Advanced to spray around the exterior. And very importantly, I'll need to cover my edible landscaping and protect the pond against drift.