curtain nightmare

Old 09-05-2011, 03:06 AM

Shannon....

I made big pillows and filled them with fabric scraps. The kids lay on them in the reading ( cozy) area. The admin had painters come in for my room because the teacher before me thought it was a good idea to put contact paper and duct tape on the walls. Well when we tried to take ripped contact off the sheet rock came off too. So, I guess I lucked out. I;ll post pics of the room tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by nikki128
Shannon....

I made big pillows and filled them with fabric scraps. The kids lay on them in the reading ( cozy) area. The admin had painters come in for my room because the teacher before me thought it was a good idea to put contact paper and duct tape on the walls. Well when we tried to take ripped contact off the sheet rock came off too. So, I guess I lucked out. I;ll post pics of the room tomorrow.
Glad it worked out for you. i made curtains for my daughter and another teacher..yellow. so bright and cheery in their classrooms now. that was last year. my first attempt at curtains!
today i am making pillow covers for 6, 32" pillows. i got a great deal on "p=leather" with the red tag sale this weekend.plus i used a 20% off total order. great deal! needed 12 yards.
she is using them for the reading section too. 3rd grade.teachers are awesome!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 AM

If these curtains are for a classroom, how about asking another parent or two to help you finish the job. You would have more fun doing it with someone else and the job would be done quicker. I don't ask my DH to help me do anything much; he is rather inept at most things. I am the mechanic, painter, etc.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:02 AM
pal

I buy muslin by the bolt and seem to use it for everything.
You could have mounted your fabic on torn muslin, and pulled the threads(about 1" from hem) for the hems of the good fabic, then sewn it on to the muslin, leaving the "hem" not sewn down. Cute and easy valances.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 AM

maybe scalloped bottoms would look good
Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 AM

You could sew 8" ties to the top and tie them over the curtain rod giving you the length you need and some pizzaz for the classroom.

If you don't have enough fabric, cut off the wavy bottom and use those for the ties, or make it easy on yourself and leave the bottom alone and buy different colors of wide ribbon for the ties. Just a couple stitches on top and voila! instant ties!
Old 09-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Originally Posted by nikki128
Bonnie I thought about that .. but, what will I ever use 13 yds of school themed fabric for. Also, we painted my classroom 2 weeks ago a green color based on the curtain fabric. So, I'm in it for the long haul. But, never again LOL!
Ok, I'm totally jealous that you get to have curtains (fire marshal won't let us) and get to paint your own color (district office and custodians won't let us). I would put a coordinating solid on the bottom. Maybe you could make a ruffle. If you have extra fabric left over, you could make big squishy pillows. I don't know what grade you have but my students love to lay on the floor on my beanbag chairs and squishy pillows to read.

I was about to write this exact email about fire marshals and paint colors.....we get none of the above! My room is a weird shade somewhere between beige and taupe and.....that's how it is. I can't even use fabric to cover the shelves on a small bookcase....fire marshal again. I wish I lived closer, I would have come helped and had a nice time "talking shop"!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM

I know you feel frustrated; but when I get in these situations I ask myself; "Will this matter in 5 years?" Five years from now you and DH will look back and remember this this day and laugh. :)
Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 PM

Can you add a piece of time where the seam is joined so that it looks like it was done on purpose - if you are short trim, I will look at what I have = just p.m. me

darlene
Old 09-06-2011, 06:13 PM

I, too, made curtains to cover my classroom windows and made the same silly measuring mistake. I find it's better to add the fabric at the top of the curtain, because it will be gathered there so errors will not be so visible. Also, the thickness from the seam folded at the top helps the portion that extends above the curtain rod to stand more erect.