Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you have said something????????? >

Would you have said something?????????

Would you have said something?????????

Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 AM

I probably wouldn't have volunteered any info because I have far too often been on the receiving end of unasked for and unwanted "help" and it drives me crazy! I've been sewing for over 45 years so I generally know what I'm doing, even if someone else doesn't think so.

However, if asked or even in general discussion about the project while waiting in line, I'm happy to offer my opinion or share my experiences. I don't like it when I see someone making what I think of as mistake but with my hearing impairment, chances are I missed an essential part of the conversation.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:07 AM

my mouth butts into everything like this lol - even if no one asked I would have said something like: before she cuts, how deep a hem are you putting in, 45 + 45 is 90", so how much hem, annnddd, how are you hanging them?? you need to sew the top, too. smile big here!

My bet is, the girl buying the fabric didnt know much more than the girl cutting it! If you're sewing anything, dont you sort of at the very least scribble some numbers on the back of an envalope before you runout to buy fabric?? - The last thing I would do if I were doing a real project would be ask the cutting clerk to figure out how much fabric I need for my project. sharet
Old 09-06-2011, 05:08 AM

knowing me, I would have said something. Maybe somebody can help her fake hems and headers. Trim on the sew line of the headder helps a lot. I used to own a drape making co. so we sometimes had to fake mistakes.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:09 AM

I would have said something. I think people really appreciate helpful conversation from another person. I know I would.
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Last week I was in Hobby Lobby looking for fabric for the new girls in my life. There was a young gal at the cutting counter getting fabric for curtains for a window. She told the cutter her window was 45" long and she wanted enough for two lengths, ie 2 1/2 yards.

Now, by my calculation that would cover a window 45" long, but there's be no allowance for a header of any sort, nor for a hem of any sort. I keep waiting for the cutter to remind her that she needed to allow for both.

NOt one word from the cutter, who I later learned is new and knows NOTHING about Hobby Lobby or about fabric.

Now I feel guilty about letting that gal out of the business without telling her about the headers and hems.

What would you have done?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 AM

I would have ask the cutter/clerk if she sews ? then I would have ask for a manager...while waiting for manager I would have told the customer she was about to get ripped off....if not on purpose..still...when mang. showed up I would ..in a nice way have told him/her that the cutter was not trained well. If mang.did not like my opinion I would have handed them my cart with my avg.$ figure of $200.plus.and walked out with their new customer in hand on my way to Jo Ann fabrics..I am tired of people getting paid to do a job with the ability to sweep floors..come on people...with the price of gas..she may have had to drive ..as I do approx. 74 miles to get fabric...take care of others as you would yourself....wishing each of you a great day of sewing
Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 AM

Don't feel guilty. It is increasingly difficult to speak up without getting looks or being cut short by either the salesperson or the person you want to help. I have found this out the hard way.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 AM

Knowing how I am, I would have said something
Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 AM

I would have said something...
Old 09-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I would have spoken up. Many a time I find that I know more than the employee helping the customer. It seems employees no longer are eager to offer help or instruction. Maybe they have been told not to, in case it makes the store liable if the help is incorrect.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:09 AM

Don't feel badly that you did not say anything. It is not YOUR responsibility to make sure the customer bought the right amount of fabric. If there is a next time, go with your feelings and speak up if it would make you feel better...but for now...let it slide.