Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you have said something????????? >

Would you have said something?????????

Would you have said something?????????

Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 AM

The teacher in me would have acted just like with one of the kids in my former classes. I would have stepped right in to help and teach at the same time...old habits die hard.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 AM
nea

I may have said something such as "Oh, what color or kind of ruffle are you adding?" The purchaser's answer would have clued me in and then I might have replied that I once had to scrounge for matching fabric when I was in a hurry and forgot to add extra inches for shrinkage , hems, etc.
Also, most retail stores hire at minimum wage. It's about the bottom line. They just need a body in the department. Well-trained folks won't work for those wages. One thought, at least the guy from automotive or sporting goods is not sent to the fabric table to cut your fabric! No need to mention that retailer's name! I refuse to buy if they won't let me cut my own when that happens.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Well I am a talker so I probably would have questioned the clerk. They should not put inexperienced people on a cutting table. How discouraging for the customer to have spent the money and not have enough fabric.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 AM

I would have said, "Don't forget to get more so you'll have enough for the hem, on the top and bottom I've done it before. The girls at our Hobby Lobby here in Gastonia, NC, don't seem to know much either. I guess they don't get any instructions about sewing. HL could print a brochure for them, telling them little details like this, it seems. It's probably hard to find too many people who know all the details about sewing.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I would have struck up a conversation with the customer... and worked the mesurments into that converation..... I bet she is sick about not having enough fabric now...
Ditto - have done this before too. Like others I sometimes get a bad look but who cares - will I ever see them again? Probably not lol and if they dont take my suggestion then let them wait to sew item and find out they dont have enough fabric lol

You shouldnt feel guilty at all. - I have had experienced fabric employees steer people wrong!!! Alot of times the customer wont use their advice because they think the clerk is trying to sell her additional fabric. I only step in if customer seems like they would be receptive to my suggestions. Dont fret over it!!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 AM

Ditto to DonnaJean! I have a big mouth and I would never have let to buy the wrong amount. I think we all have bought to little of something in the past and wish some one had spoken up. But to each thier own.

Quilterfay
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
Depending on how approachable the customer looked, I might have said something. In the past I have offered my opinion and sometimes it was well received and sometimes I got an earful. A word to the manager, even now, might help let him or her know that some training might help.
I agree with insthatod, except that I don't offer information to strangers unless they look at me like they are looking for help, BUT, that being said, after I had spinal surgery and was in a neck brace, a sweet lady approached me in the grocery store and told me I had it on backwards. I forgot how it went when I took a shower. I am sooooo grateful to that dear lady for taking a chance. I don't think you should be beating yourself up over it, though.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I would have spoken up, as the customer will be unhappy with the results. That girl should have had some training in cutting and using fabric, even if it was a quick 2 or 3 hour tutorial. I tend to have the cleanest feet in town because I always have my foot in my mouth, but I speak up and even offer advice, which they can use or not. Several times I have helped a customer who asked a question the girl cutting fabric didn't know and I opened my mouth. The customer thanked me, but I admit there are times when I get "the look" and I just shut up at that point. So short story long, speak up.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 AM

I would have said something. I have always been that way. But years of being scolded by older sisters who insisted I have no tact, I have learned to say or ask if I may be able to offer some advise. In this case..."I'm sorry I don't mean to intrude but you are going to need more of this "beautiful" fabric to complete your curtain." and then point out that she needs more for headers and hems. Notice the ego stroking.(goes against the grain with me, but it works) More often than not, people are receptive. If it is your nature to be helpful, God bless you and I hope our paths cross someday.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Count me in as a big mouth! Most stores have a simple requirement i.e. to convert as an example 3/4 to .75 so they can prepare the sale slip for the cash if they don't have a scanner to do it, The clerks are paid minimum wages would the store ask for sewing knowledge, it would become a specialized job which would mean higher salary to pay for the owner of the store. The unknown rule is that the store is not responsible for informations given by a clerk to a customer because this is outside of their job definition, Going back to the post , the clerk was there to cut exactly what the young girl ordered, The clerk that ask you questions is doing it on her own!