Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you have said something????????? >

Would you have said something?????????

Would you have said something?????????

Old 09-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I would have spoken up. Probably the customer would have been happy to have anyone with some experience/expertise to consult with.
I'd have said something, too - and actually drawn a picture of the curtain assembly. Can't tell you how many times I've stepped in in situations just like this - never got any flak for doing it, and I always ran into them at a later date to have them thank me.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 AM

Well the bigmouth that I am would have had to say something. There is nothing wrong with you not saying anything so do not beat yourself up. Hopefully she wil learn from this and find a group like ours to ask questions of before she gets things cut again. Remember that things happen for a reason and the reason for this may be for her to get involved in a group to learn these tpyes of things. I know I learn something almost everday that I get to go online to this site.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:44 PM

I would always err on the side of helpfulness rather than have regrets later....
Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM

I am always free with opinions and advice to any one that will listen LoL . It makes my world a better place.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:23 AM

I would have said something. The cutters at HL have much to be desired.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:30 AM

I agree,

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I would have said be sure to remember to add the hem and rod casing amounts to your total needed and the tie backs if you are using them. If she gave me a huffy look I would have smiled and said I'm nosy.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by MzMcKee
I can't help myself.. but I aways find myself stepping in if I think it would be helpful. Sometimes I get in trouble because I didn't hear the start, but I always seem to find myself doing it...
I'm the same way I would have opened my mouth right then and there
Old 09-10-2011, 08:12 PM

i would of spoke up and said something , the poor girl is probably home wondering why her curtains didnt turn out right
Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 AM

It is true that many people working in fabric stores and other places that carry fabric, don't have a clue what fabric is all about, BUT please remember that there are those that really know their stuff. I worked for Joann's for about 5 years plus several other fabric store and also have been sewing since 6th grade, I know a lot about sewing but I don't claim to know everything. I would cringe when I saw someone cut 108" wide muslim instead of tearing it, or cut burlap instead of pulling a thread. Even people that have worked with fabric for years still make errors in their calculations --- I know I have. For all we know, the amount of fabric that she needed for her curtains did include her hem and header..... she may have been told by someone else other than the gal at Hobby Lobby what she needed. I guess what I'm saying is give the young sales gal a break --- it may have been her first day and was nervous as heck.
She will learn.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by newell
It is true that many people working in fabric stores and other places that carry fabric, don't have a clue what fabric is all about, BUT please remember that there are those that really know their stuff. I worked for Joann's for about 5 years plus several other fabric store and also have been sewing since 6th grade, I know a lot about sewing but I don't claim to know everything. I would cringe when I saw someone cut 108" wide muslim instead of tearing it, or cut burlap instead of pulling a thread. Even people that have worked with fabric for years still make errors in their calculations --- I know I have. For all we know, the amount of fabric that she needed for her curtains did include her hem and header..... she may have been told by someone else other than the gal at Hobby Lobby what she needed. I guess what I'm saying is give the young sales gal a break --- it may have been her first day and was nervous as heck.
She will learn.
I have to admit that I was just in HL, and watched a woman buy two panels, and she did question why there was more material on one side than on the other. The girl who cut it told her because it wrapped around. I almost said something, but sadly chickened out. Frankly, if it had been my material, I would have made her recut it, but then, I can be a real witch. I feel bad that I didn't say something, but the woman seemed to think that was a reasonable answer. I guess she is going to put them back to back.

I know the woman at JoAnn's thought I was crazy when I bought a piece of fabric printed with blocks of owls and flowers, and showed her EXACTLY where I wanted it cut, lol. No, you can't cut it by the yard, and NO, I do not want more, lol. I want this much, thank you. I don't care how much it is a yard.