Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what would you do? >

what would you do?

what would you do?

Old 09-10-2011, 05:37 PM

This was helpful for me. It is how I am doing my next queen.

http://npnt.wordpress.com/putting-it-together-tutorial/
Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 PM

For your first attempt,,I really wouldn't try it on a queen especially on a small machine. The biggest I have ever done is about a 56 x 70 and thats on a Janome 3500.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 PM

I have quilted a full sized quilt on my domestic machine and the experiance...well, lets say there was a lot of swearing involved. Didn't help that it was a denim top and that made it heavy and even harder to work on. And it was just a simple top just made with 4" squares and I stitched an X in every other one...and that was HARD! I can't imagine quilting a queen sized top. I'd take it in to the long arm quilter, espessily since its a queen as well as your first top. Might cost you a little money, but you'll save on sanity. ;)

Not to say you can't try quilting smaller things like table runners, wall hangings, or baby quilts.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:34 PM

I may be out of line but it would be better to start quilting a project that was smaller like a lap quilt.

By the time you get through with the quilt, I think you will be happy to have a long arm quilter do the quilting.

I am not too experienced, though, so I don't want to discourage you.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 PM

I have found that those clamps catch on things & really mess things up.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:35 AM

Yes, it can definately be done. Just practice with little blocks until you are confident and then go for it. When I quilted the queen size in my avatar. I just rolled it up on one side an started in the middle. As I worked out, it got a bit easier. The first quilt I evern fmq'd on I was scared to death. But, I knew the only way to learn was to just go for it, and that is what I did. It gets better with every quilt I do. Good luck to you, and be sure to have fun.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:15 AM

I too have found that when quilting my queen.. I have tables set up same way... and tried to use those quilt clips to hold it rolled up but found they got in the way and just ended up removing them and squishing the material whatever way I needed to go.. still worked fine .. do STD and FMQ this way..
Originally Posted by Raggiemom
I've done one queen and used stitch in the ditch. There are differences of opinion on whether to start in the middle or on an edge. Having it pinned or spray basted really well is crucial, as is the pressing before you quilt. I rolled up on the side I wanted under the throat but it didn't stay rolled very well. I ended up just crumpling it! Having a table behind the machine and to the side for the rest of the quilt to rest upon is helpful.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Yet another update: After viewing more videos, my sweet husband replaced the top of my sewing table. It is now much larger and covered in heavy mil vinyl. The surface is now level w the sewing suface of my machine and the whole thing is nice and heavy. No scooting. I have an open-front walking foot w little measurement guides on it AND I have gloves. Still piecing my last border then on to basting. I mean ironing. All of your information has been so helpful - letting me weigh both options. The jury is still out but Im leaning towards going for it. I think if I end up in trouble I can wah and my husband will help me :). He is so sweet!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:34 PM

I hope you'll show us the end result.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

Spray baste lightly, draw lines on it and then use a walking foot and follow the lines. Be sure to get quilting gloves and learn how to puddle your quilt. Use a low loft batting that can be stitched far apart like Warm and Natural. Use the minimal amount of quilting you need. Goodluck!