Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tilting your sewing machine >

tilting your sewing machine

tilting your sewing machine

Old 09-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Cagey. I use a board about 3/4's of an inch thick. the length of your machine and about 2" wide. Just a piece of wood my husband cut for me. The tilt boards are a bit pricey. My machine is computerized, have been doing this for years. peterparley
Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Cagey. I use a board about 3/4's of an inch thick. the length of your machine and about 2" wide. Just a piece of wood my husband cut for me. The tilt boards are a bit pricey. My machine is computerized, have been doing this for years. peterparley
Old 09-14-2011, 07:00 PM

hell, when i was at a class a few years ago, our instuctor had us put rubber door stoppers under the back part of the machine and i cannot tell you how much better it was to sew....you should try it. it does not hurt the machine at all..
Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 PM

one does not want to tilt it too much. about 1 1/2" is way enough. any higher is too much....maybe your sitting too close that you are looking at the top of your machine....happy sewing ladies.....the little brown door stops are the perfect height....
Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 PM

I havent tried it yet with one of the older machines but did try a bean bag lap desk/with the board top for writing on and it worked breat under the newer machines
Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Have just tried this makes a wonderful difference.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:35 PM

I personally haven't done it, but I do know others have done it and like it.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 PM
T.

I also want to try this, but have a question. My machine is set on a "platform" with a couple of screws. The platform that can be lowered into the cabinet so that you can close the top(standing up). But I usually don't. My question is if I take it off of the screws, tilt it, would it be stable enough? If I raise that platform to be even with the rest of the cabinet surface, then the machine will be too high? (I am vertically challenged as well, but probably more than all of you).
Will this work? I guess I'll have to try it & then I'll let you know.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I have an old, non computerized machine that I do this with. I like it tilted for FMQ work because it's more comfortable. But I have not tried it with a computerized machine.
It does not hurt computerized machines. I have used this method for many years. I use it all the time on my embroidery machine too. It does work great.

Jean
Old 09-15-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by T.
I also want to try this, but have a question. My machine is set on a "platform" with a couple of screws. The platform that can be lowered into the cabinet so that you can close the top(standing up). But I usually don't. My question is if I take it off of the screws, tilt it, would it be stable enough? If I raise that platform to be even with the rest of the cabinet surface, then the machine will be too high? (I am vertically challenged as well, but probably more than all of you).
Will this work? I guess I'll have to try it & then I'll let you know.
Are the screws long enough so you could unscrew them some, add the wedges, then screw them back? This might work & if not, maybe you could find some longer screws, just a thought!...