dog's hot spots.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:27 AM

I had a schnauser that was allergic to flea saliva. 1 flea bite and she would itch and scratch herself raw. Many hot spots, usually up around her neck. The vet gave me a hot spot spray which I think was a topical anesthetic but I also had to put a cone around her for a day or so to keep her from going after it. Hot spots become a downward spiral. They chew or scratch because they are irritated, but are irritated because they scratch and chew.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 PM

i have six lhasa apso. We do not want them to have this problem. #1 vet is the right choice. Our vet gave them Butler GentaSpray Topical Spray. We use Vet Kem to keep critters off and they were vaccinated for Lime Disease.
The vet also told us to shampoo them with Selsun Blue dandruff shampoo. They seem happy now. The Vet is the correct answer, but do ask about these products.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:45 PM

I use benadryl in the gel form on the hot spots, it numbs the area so it can heal. My Saint used to get REALLY bad hot spots ...once I started using benadryl in the gel form , she no longer would tear them open or spread them from the constant rubbing/licking or irritating the area.
I alternated the benadryl with a antibacterial gel ( comes in a tube) and have had the best success . I no longer have to go to the vet at every oocurance. My current Saint had the start of a hot spot and it only took two application of the benadryl to stop it.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

We tried Dr. Tichenor's mouthwash on our dog's and cat's hot spots with good results. Not sure why it worked, but, it did.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

For what you spend for over the counter meds (I haven't found one yet that will cure but some will relieve), you will save money in the long run by going to the vet and getting the right medicine.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:04 PM

What a beautiful Saint you have.... We inheirited a Saint Mix about 3 years ago from my stepson. He is the best thing we ever had. But, yours is simply beautiful. Just sayin....
:-D
Old 09-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I used to be a vet tech so felt necessary to say go to the vet before trying home remedies. Hot spots could be fleas, dermatitist, skin infection, allergies, etc. Many OTC remedies can make them worse.
add to that ... ticks, lice,
don't forget mites and ringworm, can't leave those out
Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM

On my dog and cat I use the Scratchex for each; they work really well for healing.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Poor baby. My dear little fellow got a terrible infestation of fleas. The fleas are gone but the itch lingers. He is taking steroid shots now to ease the pain and itch. Might try that.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Just remembered another cause ... mange.

You may not think there's any chance your dog could be in contact with it ... though if a wild animal should have it, brush up against a fence post, picnic table or whatever ... and then your dog do the same. Bingo! Transmission for potential cause.