favorite author?

Old 09-17-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by blondeslave
Stephen King-I've read The Stand about 18 times. I'm currently rereading Needful Things and will probably reread Insomnia next. Also love Dean Koontz. Reread Watchers again this summer.
I have read many of Stephen King books and I am alm ost finished with "Duma Key'. Second time reading it..
Old 09-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Nicholas Sparks
Old 09-17-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning
Originally Posted by mommafank
Does anyone read Jane Smiley or Joyce Carol Oates? I recently read a book by Ronlyn Dominque called "The Mercy of Thin Air"---------a very interesting,good read. My goal before I go to the "deep blue yonder" is to read as many of the classics and Pulitizer prize winners as possible. I have a good start on the Pulitizer ones. I also want to read the Tolkien books.
I very much like both of these authors! Oates also writes mysteries under the pen name Rosamond Smith. I read "The Mercy of Thin Air" a few years ago. Thanks for the reminder. Have to check to see what she has written since then. Have you read Louise Erdrich?
Have not read Louise Erdrich----what type of books does she write? Thanks for sharing that Oates has other books under a pen name-----I should have known that, but did not. I saw her speak at UCF several years ago. Where in central FL do you live? We lived in E Orlando for 26 years.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:56 PM

Louis Erdrich is part Ojibwa Indian and part German-
American who often writes about a community of the Ojibwa intertwining the stories of the different families and different generations. When I finish one, it reminds me of sitting around the family table listening to several generations reminiscing. They are often hard hitting, but her writing is so beautiful.
I live just southwest of Kissimmee. Have been here for about 18 years and it has changed so very much!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Maeve Binchy, Jennifer Chiaverini, Marie Bostwick, Emily Giffin, Fannie Flagg, Jan Karon, too many to list all of them!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:05 PM

Gosh, I have a bunch that I like...Nora Roberts, Fern Michaels, John Grisham, Sidney Sheldon, Tom Clancy.

My all time favorite book from childhood was "Black Beauty"
Old 09-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Beverly Lewis Writes about Amish traditions
Old 09-18-2011, 03:56 AM

American who often writes about a community of the Ojibwa intertwining the stories of the different families and different generations. When I finish one, it reminds me of sitting around the family table listening to several generations reminiscing. They are often hard hitting, but her writing is so beautiful.
I live just southwest of Kissimmee. Have been here for about 18 years and it has changed so very much!
I was born & raised in Orlando. Kissimmee used to be a small town. Have you been to othe Monument of States? Everytime I go back to Orlando I try and stop by.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by patsyo56721
I was born & raised in Orlando. Kissimmee used to be a small town. Have you been to othe Monument of States? Everytime I go back to Orlando I try and stop by.
While they are laying off librarians in the county, the city is spending a fortune re-doing the lake front (including taking out most of the beautiful old shade trees. Right now it is sort of hard to find the Monument, but have visited it often.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:30 AM

I am going to look for her books---saw her profile on-line and decided to read some as I have native American Indian in my background.

Yes, that area has changed over the years and we decided to leave when we retired. It just got too busy for us. Thanks for sharing about the authors!