Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
General cost of sewing machine tune-up? >

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:01 AM

My Hus/Vikg Signature cost me $150, and took about a week to get back. That was at the dealer it was purchased from. They recomended it come in once a year. I think that is too much money. I would like to clean it myself, but they said it would void my warranty. I've seen machines not cleaned for years and the lint build up can be bad. What to do???
Old 07-02-2009, 06:04 AM

I've paid 75 to 100. Took my Pfaff to place that charged 75 and had to bring it back twice and the problem came back again almost immediately. Went there also because it's closer to home and shop sells fabrics. Should have taken it to shop where I bought it but didn't because it was too far away and no fabric there. So what did I save by going to the cheaper place twice? Nothing. Anyway, I've upgraded my Pfaff and it has a 5 year warranty which includes annual checkups. I do a lot of sewing, clean the lint out whenever I change the bobbin, etc. I've found that an annual maintenance keeps my machines running smoothly.

May in Jersey
Old 07-02-2009, 08:59 AM

I took my Vikings in to Vegas and was charged $75 each just for a cleaning and checkup. It was suggested I bring them in once a year, if I use them a lot. Took one of them to another dealer, in another state, three months later for a 'problem' and was charged $60 for cleaning, after I told him NOT to clean it (he really didn't clean it because I found a ton of lint in it when I got it back :x ). I've had my Featherweight cleaned for $25 close to home. It all depends on the type of machine and where you take it. Make sure you clean out the lint at LEAST after every project. :roll:
Chris
Old 07-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Here in the DC Suburbs, the Viking Dealerships have an independent repair person. He picks up once a week, and delivers same day the following week. Base price is $89.95 - and includes all labor (parts, if any are needed, is extra).

Recommendation is that you take the machines in yearly - to have everything checked out, cleaned, and adjusted where needed.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 AM

When I take mine to my dealer, the first yearly cleaning is free and the yearly cleaning from then on is $59.00. I have never had any repairs, just the cleaning.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 AM

The Quilt Shop in Boone, NC has a guy that does it for $50. I'm sure parts would be extra. I think if you clean it real well yourself regularly you only need to have a pro do it once a year. If you're lazy and use cheap thread you should probably get to know your repairman because you're going to see him more than you can imagine.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:26 AM

I had a Brother and I paid $60 for a through cleaning and check-up. My new machine, used but new to me, will be taken to the quilt shop where I bought it. It's a Janome and they fix them and give you a loaner until the work is done. I'm in central Maine so prices may be lower then other parts of the country.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 AM

The last time I took mine in for a computerized Bernina, it was $130 I believe and that was last year. Non-computerized was less.
Peg-TX That is in Houston, TX
Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 AM

I had my designer 1 cleaned with a tune up two weeks ago and it cost me $89 that part. The total was $137, but I had a few things that needed to fixed like my light bulb has gone out, my needle threader was not in line to thread my needle. Little things like that. It all depends on the brand of machine and your dealer.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM

Hi everyone,
We just had a guild meeting last month where our local sewing machine/fabric store came and gave us a general maintenance presentation on top loading and side loading bobbin machines and sergers. Basic cleaning and a few pointers when you get into trouble with your machines. Also advise for those with the newer machines with computers in them.
As to an answer to your question about servicing - they recommended a yearly cleaning, tension adjustment and tune up which runs about $50. Our instructor shared some really funny and some horror stories on machines that had come in for servicing. Some of these machines had been used almost constanting for years before they just stopped working and they wondered why. In cleaning the machine they found all sorts of stuff/lint/threads - unbelievable. Imagine a ball of lint the size of your fist found inside one machine that had been used for over 20 years without every being cleaned. Wonder it was still working at all. I have 4 different machines for different applications and they all go in at different times of the year but each of them go in at least once a year. One of them is now over 50 years old and still goes through six layers of denim without missing a stitch.