Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why they don't understand >

Why they don't understand

Why they don't understand

Old 09-22-2011, 06:18 AM

Some people like mass produced art and some like 'hand painted from an artist' art. Its ok to like both, but don't put down the artist for painting. I love to see the look on people faces when they see my long arm and FINALLY get how long it takes to make a quilt. Think what they would make of a HAND quilted quilt! Their loss...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:39 AM

That was disheartening. Perfect reason that I don't sell my quilts and I only give them to those who I know will appreciate them.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 AM

You could tell from the pictures, the way the quilt draped, and the wrinkles that were visably apparent that it wasn't a quality product. I would bet that the fabrics are very thin. You know that it is made in a foreign country where the labor is super cheap. If you are going for appearances perhaps this would do the job to just throw a room together to look at. If you want something that will be able to be used and last a lifetime you do it the old fashioned way. Ann in TN
Old 09-22-2011, 07:00 AM

I have two slave made quilts from before my quilting started.
both have very poor quilting on them.
My daughter bought me a $200 dollar quilt at Linins and Things and it is much better but the quilting is still minimal with lots of open space left.
The finished quilting can really show up the quality of a quilt.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 AM

People these days want Quantity and not Quality.They really dont think how long a handmade quilt will last & how much time you put into one.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:37 AM

I've had people ask why my quilts cost so much more than the ones in the stores and I've explained about quality fabrics, where the quilts are made, prices paid to the workers there, etc. But, when I explain to them that the quilt I will be making for them will be a one-of-a-kind quilt and not the same as 20,000 other people, they seem to "get it." Of course, not everyone cares about that, but most do. What they/I especially like is when they get to go to the fabric store with me and choose their own fabrics. For them, they get the fabrics they like and I benefit because they get to see the prices I pay for fabric. It' a win-win situation.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:15 AM

I worked in a garment factory years ago. The fabric is rolled off of big bolts....100 layers thick, then cut with a big cutter (some sort of saw) and each sewer sews certain parts....mass produced, and then a huge computerized machine quilts them....takes about 10 minutes for 1 quilt to be quilted. Plus lousy fabric.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by cdobbert40
here is a perfect example of why people do not understand how much money, time and love is put into a quilt.

http://youtu.be/pkLBzgAxm_E
The buyers will learn what I did. If you wash those quilts you find out real quick, why they are so cheap. I bought a pretty quilt with cats all over it, I loved it. I washed it, and it came out with about 1/3 of the seams open, (no 1/4 inch seams) and the rest of it was covered in those nasty little 'pills all over it'. They are made with waste cotton. My DD gave it to her dog to sleep with.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM

Yes you are right, my chinese sister in law orderes them direct from the factory in china. She then resells them on e-bay for $29 and up. She says they are hand made. I said no they are made by machine, she said hands put them in the machine so hand made. She is making a bundle about $2,000 a week she showed me on the net her books. Of course her house looks like a warehouse inside. The hall has them stacked to the ceiling and its just enough room to get to the bathroom. Next week the shipment is coming in. Its like a box car full of stuff. Thats how they do it. And she does get fabric from there, call me a snob but I dont like the feel of it.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 AM

I bought one in this price range many years ago before I started quilting. The fabric was a poor quality, the quilting was poorly executed but it looked fine from a distance... until I washed it! What a mess! some areas were all poochy and others were pulled tight... had to throw it away. $30 wasted when I could have made a quilt!