Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why they don't understand >

Why they don't understand

Why they don't understand

Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Dh's cousin bought one of those type of quilts @ Wal-mart and then tried to get me to repair it after it began to fall apart. I politely declined. I offered to teach her to make a much better quilt, she didn't want to.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:56 AM

These probably came from OverSeas Sweat Shops.
Employees paid $0.10 hourly or less.
After they are washed probably can see thru them.
J J
Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Consider this the products at Walmart are made in China, some college students came up with the idea that if we starting making more products in the USA or your country such as Canada and Australia. This would be a boost to the economy and we need that.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by cdobbert40
here is a perfect example of why people do not understand how much money, time and love is put into a quilt.

http://youtu.be/pkLBzgAxm_E
Yes these quilts are made oversears in sweat shops out of cheap yardage. Won't last pass a few washings. :thumbdown: :|
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM

Because our garments are all made in sweat shops in Third World nations where the workers are earning a dollar a day, maybe. In case you haven't read the labels in your clothing lately. Plus, the price of fuel is pushing the price of cotton and everything else through the roof. Guess what, not only do they not grow much cotton in the USA, none of it is processed here. We are beholden to the cost of importing all these goods and the good ole American Greenback being worth less and less every day!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by pamt
Because our garments are all made in sweat shops in Third World nations where the workers are earning a dollar a day, maybe. In case you haven't read the labels in your clothing lately. Plus, the price of fuel is pushing the price of cotton and everything else through the roof. Guess what, not only do they not grow much cotton in the USA, none of it is processed here. We are beholden to the cost of importing all these goods and the good ole American Greenback being worth less and less every day!
Cotton boycott. Couldn't we scare the pants off them if we all quit buying for a week? Think of how many of us there are. Bad Kelly, Bad Kelly! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Old 09-22-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Anyone that says a quality made quilt cost is expensive I say yes it would seem expensive if you don't know about quilts or the making of one and then I tune them out.
Lets face it: It takes a quilter to know a quilt :XD:
Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

You are so right about why people don't understand pricing on handmade quilts. The quilts sold on home shopping networks are most likely made in countries where people are paid very little money for their work. I still don't know how they can sell them at those low prices, although I've looked at ones in Wal-Mart and other retail stores, and the fabric is poor quality and while some are hand quilted, the quilting is not that great. Comparing costs for those quilts and the quilts you and I make would be like comparing apples to oranges, they are not the same at all.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I could only watch it, at work, couldn't turn the volume on.

Did they at any time mention WHERE the quilts were made??

Of course, there are a lot of people who won't pay any attention to that.
those things are probably machine made by a huge machine and not a single person at a table.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 PM

considering the drought in Texas where they have lost 2/3s of thier cotton crop, I don't even want to thing of the price of fabric that is coming. Stocking up now so I can work out of my stash for a while.