Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 02-07-2007, 04:56 AM

I saw a guy on the quilting net demonstrate a frame for machine quilting. It looked like two long poles . quilt was rolled from one to the other. he was using a tiny quilt. If you sat at the side of your machine might work.; could devise your own. sorry not more clear :?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:06 AM

I will be going to the quilt show in Hampton Va in a few weeks. John Flynn is usually there demonstrating his frame so this time I will pay closer attentiion to what he is doing. Thanks for all the tips.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:35 AM

Big loops on the back happened to me when I was doing a quilt on my frame. Guess what? :lol: I forgot to put my presserfoot down. How dumb did I feel! It's easy to do when you're using a hopping foot. Just check each time you start up, and it won't happen again. Hope this helps.
Happy quilting in this -0 northern Michigan weather, or where-ever you are.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 AM

Well, Yeah!! I've never done that before. NOT. Is that what the presserfoot is for??? :roll:
Old 02-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Naw ... the presser foot is for ironing the really teeny tiny paperpieced patches.

and for getting your top thread tangled in or wrapped around when you aren't paying attention.

and for playing hide and seek when you need one of the special ones in a hurry for a specific task.

and for stepping on to help you find it.

8)

isn't it?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 AM

Been there! Loops, loops, loops everywhere! And they weren't at all neat either. It only takes a few times cleaning up that mess to start remembering the presser foot... well ususally! :lol: That and are the feed dogs up or down? Ha! :wink:
Old 02-07-2007, 02:29 PM

There are a lot of great ideas here. I always check my tension on a sample sandwich every time I change my bobbin. That way I don't start on my quilt and have to go back and pick out nasty stitches. I was having a lot of trouble with stitches being loose on the backside and was also very frustrated. One day I saw a sewing show and the hostess said "Remember to back off your tension (top) one number and sew fast while moving the quilt slow." That was the best advice I have ever got for free motion quilting. You have to concentrate on what you are doing and modify the speed of your machine and the speed that you move the material but it's worth the effort.
Hope this helps some.
Ruthie
Old 02-07-2007, 03:09 PM

PatriceJ, What kind of machine did you get? I'm not sure which foot you're describing. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

The machine is a Singer Ingenuity 7436. I got mine at WalMart, but did see 2 on ebay for a lot less. Couldn't tell, though, whether those came with the bonus pack of specialty feet (which is worth at least another $150). Oddly ... the free motion foot in the bonus pack is not the one Singer sells from its web site. It's better. In fact I have yet to find any like it anywhere. Similar, yes, but none as good. I've seen this type before, just can't find them again. I sent Singer an email hoping they can tell me where to get them. I'd like a spare and a few to give as gifts to fellow quilters.

If I hear anything, I'll post whatever I find out.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-66796.jpe
Views:	214
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	66801  
Old 02-08-2007, 07:27 AM

sometimes its listed as a darning foot