Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Bomb Sniffing Dogs Being Euthanized >

Bomb Sniffing Dogs Being Euthanized

Bomb Sniffing Dogs Being Euthanized

Old 09-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Mistreatment of animals is a real sore spot with me.
They are inteligent and have feelings.
They feel pain just like us but nature has taught them not to show it or they will be killed.
They deserve our respect and care.
We are the only species on earth that is capable of turning the earth into a garden of eden and of caring for the injured and I feel that is what the Bible said when it was written that we have dominion over the animals.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:27 AM

Are these starving babies from countries where men have to have fifteen kids to prove they are a man? If so there is no help for the children until the men change. I will save the dogs.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:32 AM

I read something about a GI who wanted to bring his dog home and he had to raise $4000 for the costs, seems to me there must be more than $4K in costs training one of these dogs.

And why has the need for bomb-sniffing dogs gone down, is Al-Quaeda giving up? seems to me they would still need them.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I've hated the way we use dogs in war for decades.
i do hope something can be done. it's dis-heartening.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Joy310
Are these starving babies from countries where men have to have fifteen kids to prove they are a man? If so there is no help for the children until the men change. I will save the dogs.
This pretty much sums up what is going on here.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 AM

We have starving babies right here in the USA, nothing being done about them. I give to the USA first. Our Gov. gives to the overseas first.
I say if you served the USA in any form you deserve the best the USA can offer you. Save the dogs and serve the veterans. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 AM

ditto. there was a news special about these dogs and they have not been successful rehabbing them into family dogs because of the ptsd.

what would you petition congress to do for these dogs? just curious. to have them sent to a shelter is probably not feasible because the shelters are full with pets from people who have lost their homes in this recession. the no kill facilities have so many animals they are having difficulty caring for them all. who is going to pay for the rehab for these dogs which is sure to be expensive? what type facility would you suggest for them to live out their lives?

with so many people made jobless and homeless by this recession and the numbers of vets returning from service who are badly injured and not getting the mental & physical care they need to survive, with congress ready to cut the safety net from underneath the very vunerable in this country, with millions of people who have lost their health care, i would rather see efforts made to help these people.

i know we are a animal loving society and hate to see any animals suffer, but i hate more seeing families living in their cars because they have no where to go, no savings left, no job options. i would rather not see these dogs suffer the remainder of their lives with pstd, being doped up with drugs just to make it through another day. this is just mho.

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Unfortunately many of these dogs suffer from PTSD as do their comrades in service. I suspect that they would be hard to place for adoption but that doesn't make them any less deserving. It may be a liability issue on the part of the armed services. We saw something on the national news about returning service dogs not long ago and the efforts being made to try to deprogram them. Unfortunately the outlook wasn't very good. Ann in TN
Old 09-26-2011, 07:42 AM

Sounds like that attorney has not done enough research into the facts of what happens to retired military service dogs. It is unrealistic to believe that the military, the same people who pay thousands of dollars for a hammer, find it too expensive to ship eligible dogs home for adoption...key word is eligible.

Read some of the facts for yourself.
http://www.military.com/entertainmen...-dog-adoptions
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
You should start an online petition. Can't find the website that sends me occasional petitions to sign, but I know there are several.
Online petitions aren't valid but who knows it might show enough interest that someone might rethink.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM

I volunteer in our mailroom here in Afghanistan and we have six dogs with us to sniff out contraband and bombs. These dogs are taken care of by YOUR loved ones that are here. Seeing a dog being walked by a handler or being petted, talked to fed or played with by random troops is the norm. Many of us gravitate towards the dogs because we are missing our pets back at home. Please believe me when I tell you that no serveicemember would stand for leaving one of our buddies (the dogs) behind. If it is happening then it is happening in isolated places or circumstances. As I stated in an earlier email our dogs are on orders and are a part of our military. Our working dogs are considered servicemembers that are serving their country. I believe there is more to this story as to why the dogs are being left behind. Maybe this is something contractors are doing because they are not held as accountable as our military. I'm still looking into it.