Got my shot today

Old 09-29-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Iraxy
I get my flu shot yearly and am amazed at the number of people who say that they get the flu from the flu shot. The flu vaccine is dead. The inhaled vaccine is live. I know I will hear from all sorts of people who will contradict what I said about the dead vaccine, but the facts are the facts.
As an RN I second this statement. Also the compressed air used to propell the needle-less injection is a minute amount. If you are worried about that amount might cause a stroke or other problem...that isn't going to happen. It would take a hugh amount of air injected to cause problems...more than 30 milimeters (one ounce) for adults.
And as long as I am being long-winded I too urge everyone to get the shingles vaccine. The pain is horriible and can last for years. I think most insurance co. will reinburse the cost. Don't know if Medicare does or not.
P.S. Hope the hip replacement goes well.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 PM

All Medicare Part D plans cover the shingles vaccine. The amount of cost-sharing (money you have to pay) for vaccination varies.

Medicare Part B does not cover the shingles vaccine. If you have private insurance or Medicaid, your plan may or may not cover the vaccine; contact your insurer to find out.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/...-need-know.htm
Old 09-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Yes, got mine on Monday with the "new" needless machine. Not doing that again, the arm still hurts and itches. And it hurt when she did it. Next time I am back to the needle. But the good news is now I won't get the flu which would have been a whole lot worse.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
All Medicare Part D plans cover the shingles vaccine. The amount of cost-sharing (money you have to pay) for vaccination varies.

Medicare Part B does not cover the shingles vaccine. If you have private insurance or Medicaid, your plan may or may not cover the vaccine; contact your insurer to find out.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/...-need-know.htm
Thanks for the web site and info. Judy
Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM

DH and I got ours on Tuesday.
It was the new real thin needle injection and neither of us felt a thing!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 AM

i'm very allergic to the thimerisol in the shot. it's a preservative usually found in eye products. anyway, it's really hard to find a place that has the no t shots. last year walgreens had them and that was my first flu shot in 10 yrs. this yr i have to get the shingles shot and the pneumonia shot, too. guess i'll feel like my own pincushion!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

no just got my regualtr flu shot good luck on your hip surgery my dh is having it done in next few months
Old 09-30-2011, 02:04 PM

This is the way we got all our shots when I was in the Air Force back in the late 60's and early 70's. If you moved just a little when they were giving it, it would rip your arm open. I'll take the needle any day.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:39 PM

they've done those kind of shots in the military for years... dh had a hard time the first time... learned the hard way NOT to tense up...
Old 09-30-2011, 03:43 PM

Wow I have to get mine soon, heard about the air shot,now I know I will take the needle.